BlazeEagle@aol.com
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 20:26:16 EST

In a message dated 3/9/00 8:09:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, ledzep@d2.com
writes:

> That's exactly my point. They are too concerned about the worthless
details (
> the
> display in engineering was never *that* color/the uniforms are
single-seamed,
> not
> double, dumbass/etc.) and don't look at the product as a whole. We have a
> bunch
> of artists here who are young and, well, geeky. They recently went on an
> hourlong conversation about which was more realistic, Star Wars or Star
Trek.

> Are you shitting me? They both are far far away from any realism. This is
> what
> I meant about a straight answer. They are almost incapable of separating
> fantasy
> from reality. They won't admit that it's "just a movie" or whatever. I
> went to
> go see Star Trek III at the Cinerama Dome and there were these two clowns
in
> front of me talking about how we could build a warpdrive right now (circa
> whatever year that movie came out), it really works, etc. When you get to
> the
> point that some of those guys get then it turns into a religion, the
> fanatics are
> so obsessed with "the future" or how cool it would be to live in that
> universe
> that they give up on the now, all the thousands of cool and wonderful
things
> that
> are going on around them. I have no time for that crap. I really like
Star
> Trek
> and Gundam and Star Wars and such but I'm not going to dedicate my life to
> them,
> I'm not going to turn down a date with a girl who should be in Playboy
> because
> that's the night of the two hour finale of the Voyager season or anything
> idiotic
> like that.

I understand exactly what you are saying. I have favorite TV shows I don't
like to miss, but its no big deal if I do miss and don't let it mess up my
life because of it. That's why I have a VCR. I mean, people like you describe
are crazy. Miss a date because of a 2 hour Voyager finale. That's just plain
dumb, I mean, don't they have a VCR :) I have hobbies, but am not obsessed
with them.

> I did not mean to imply that the separate act of trying your hand at
> recreating a
> costume or outfit equals fanaticism, by the way. I meant the hardcores out
> there
> that are ready to name their first born after a great Klingon warrior or
> something equally spastic.

No worries, I understand what you mean, now.