Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Thu, 09 Mar 2000 17:07:59 -0800

BlazeEagle@aol.com wrote:

> Lots of anime fans, American and Japanese, do cosplay(dress up as anime
> characters at conventions). What's different about that then dressing up as a
> Klingon? I m no Trekkie, but there's no difference. Some fans of anything go
> crazy over this stuff.

That's exactly my point. They are too concerned about the worthless details (the
display in engineering was never *that* color/the uniforms are single-seamed, not
double, dumbass/etc.) and don't look at the product as a whole. We have a bunch
of artists here who are young and, well, geeky. They recently went on an
hourlong conversation about which was more realistic, Star Wars or Star Trek.
Are you shitting me? They both are far far away from any realism. This is what
I meant about a straight answer. They are almost incapable of separating fantasy
from reality. They won't admit that it's "just a movie" or whatever. I went to
go see Star Trek III at the Cinerama Dome and there were these two clowns in
front of me talking about how we could build a warpdrive right now (circa
whatever year that movie came out), it really works, etc. When you get to the
point that some of those guys get then it turns into a religion, the fanatics are
so obsessed with "the future" or how cool it would be to live in that universe
that they give up on the now, all the thousands of cool and wonderful things that
are going on around them. I have no time for that crap. I really like Star Trek
and Gundam and Star Wars and such but I'm not going to dedicate my life to them,
I'm not going to turn down a date with a girl who should be in Playboy because
that's the night of the two hour finale of the Voyager season or anything idiotic
like that.

I did not mean to imply that the separate act of trying your hand at recreating a
costume or outfit equals fanaticism, by the way. I meant the hardcores out there
that are ready to name their first born after a great Klingon warrior or
something equally spastic.

Alfred.