BlazeEagle@aol.com
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:20:15 EST

In a message dated 3/9/00 3:21:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, scorpio@best.com
writes:

> Judging from the Turn A comic that's running in Comic BomBom - not
> always the best yardstick, but there you go - this "unification" of all
> the Gundam timelines is fairly vague and sweeping. On the theory that two
> thousand years is plenty of time for a few cycles of progress and
> decline, it's posited that human history has been stuck in an endless
> repetition of colonization and space war, with the figure of the Gundam
> (Earth's champion) as a recurring archetype.

What you just said above makes perfect sense. This could be used to explain
the tech levels in all the different Gundam shows, as well.

> The various Gundam series are used as props to underscore this point,
which > ironically could be seen as a critique of what Tomino and his
followers have done > with the franchise since the original series. ;-)

> While we're on the subject, I get the definite impression from the
> interviews I've seen that Tomino thinks more highly of the alternate
> universe sequels than of the faithful UC homages, most of which are
> simple rehashes of the original series. Turn A really seems like his
> attempt to avail himself of the same creative freedom that the creators
> of Wing and G Gundam enjoyed...

I think this is a good thing, rehashes get old, no matter how good they are.
Variety keeps things from getting bored. Like the saying goes, the only
assured things in life are change and death.

> WooJin Lee writes,
>
> >One of the main problems I have with the all century idea that Turn A
> >promotes is this: If future generations lost the ability to travel into
> >space and then regained it a number of times, which is what this all seems
> >to suggest, then shouldn't there be traces of Space Colonies left in
space?

> You know, I started pondering this, and ended up wondering what the
> operational life span of a colony cylinder really is. These things are
> pretty fragile anyway, what with the impossible physics of the mirror
> panels and a steady rain of meteor fragments. Throw in wear and tear,
> declining maintenance, and the hazards of the post-F91 "space age of
> warring states," and I'm not so sure they're sustainable in the long term.
>
> So if they fall apart after a few centuries, where did the debris go?
> Well, considering the pinnacles of nanotechnology we see in G Gundam and
> Turn A, it's possible that it might simply have been recycled.

This also makes a lot of sense.

> One last comment on this. Many months ago, a friend relayed a rumor
> from the Japanese side that the Turn A was actually an existing Gundam
> under a new guise. Given the latest revelations about its history (from
> the BomBom serial), I'm developing my own suspicions as to its identity...

Please tell more, I'd like do hear what your suspicions. One question, this
means that an existing Gundam is actually guised as the Turn A? So, is an
existing Gundam part of the Turn A or is the Turn A just like an armor
covering an existing Gundam? So, are where going to see an episode where the
Turn A gets badly damaged and the outer covering(the Turn A) gets ripped off,
to reveal an existing Gundam or something? This would be an awesome idea, if
the rumors mean something like this!

> Oh, and one general comment. With the debut of Wing on U.S. television,
  our little corner of fandom has the chance for a huge influx of
> newcomers. The protestations of UC-bigotry that have been cropping up on
> this list are just plain silly. Welcome the newcomers and show them our
> ways; I'll lay odds that fans whose first exposure to Gundam is by way of
> Wing will find lots to like in the rest of the saga.
>
> For quantification, I note that site traffic on the Gundam Project has
> more than tripled since Gundam Wing debuted on Monday. These are the
> Gundamaniacs of tomorrow, people. Get with it or get left behind.
>
> -- Mark

I totally agree, its time for the new Age of Gundam to begin!

Aaron