garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:07:57 -0800 (PST)


i like replying after fed (because we disagree so
often, like now). where there's fed(eration), there's
an axe wielding zaku. :P

--- Federico Makabenta <yenm@iconn.com.ph> wrote:
> Sorry about starting that "I hate Relena" stuff. :P
>

yeah, and what about my head on a spear? *sniffle*

> Although it was mentioned in passing and as a side
> joke really, (actually
> I'm really kinda neutral towards her) and I did
> mention that I really didn't
> like GW. Well, Ms. Peacecraft does have a haters
> club mainly made up of
> women who hate her pairing with Heero Yuy.

uhrm, i take exception to being lumped with THOSE
kinds of wing afficionados. i like relena's character
(so reminiscent of the ancient kings and queens)
because i see beyond what the shallow fanboy/fangirl
sees. all the rest is just plain crapola -- and if
you (in the generic sense), can't tell the difference
between genuine appreciation, and brainless shoujo
shounen drivel, you oughtta be dragged out, strapped
to a leo, and left to die an ignoble cannon fodder
death. :P

>
> BTW, as a side note, what happened to the folk who
> got into this list
> because of Gundam Wing the first time around? I
> heard the GWML is awash with
> women who really don't discuss aspects of Gundam
> that we do. Some cases they
> even trade fanfics laced with yaoi (boy love)
> elements.

what do you mean what happened to them? there weren't
that many, were there? i'm still here lurking and
reading all the gundam mail that come my way (you guys
post like damn gremlins...do the people here post from
work?).

i quit a job this time last year, and it was on a lazy
day after that, bumming around on the couch, that i
finally got hooked on g wing. i took the dive into UC
as well, and never resurfaced. :P (quit your job,
discover a new anime...way ta go, what a motto)
before that, i was simply another anime fan that was
intimidated by the girth...er...expanse of the gundam
universe. my friends knew gundam, but i always
hovered on the edge, and stuck to what i loved best --
macross (and robotech, yes).

>
> Taking from what Mark said, where will these young
> people who are just
> discovering Gundam from the first time go to? Better
> us fans who've been
> around and know a bit more about what the entire
> thing is about I guess.
> Imagine the shock of a young kid getting on a GWML
> and seeing a Heero, Duo
> and Trowa love triangle unfold - it may just make
> him a Gundam hater for
> life. :)

you really don't think too much of wing fans, do you?

*smacks fed around with a beam tomahawk*

>
> Or worse yet, in the Philippines - Yu-Yu Hakushu
> (Poltergeist Report) male
> characters Kurama and Hiei had been said to be
> lovers in the manga version.
> Didn't happen actually - but a lot of people accept
> it as fact and just
> something those "weird Japanese" would do in a comic
> book.

i saw a YYH paint job on a passenger jeepney once. it
was funny.

>
> To anyone who may have been offended by this - I'm
> not a bigot. But I do
> acknowledge that there is homophobia out there in
> the world. I have a
> bisexual friend who's a real fan of UC Gundam - and
> if that's not tolerance,
> I don't know what is. Please don't flame me... :)

what exactly is your point, fed? from what i know,
yaoi content seems to be centered on g wing, the most
shonen of all gundams. haven't come across UC yaoi
in all my searching the net. but then again, i'm a
lazy surfer.

homophobia stems from ignorance. and you know what
they say -- the most violent about it are the most
likely to be...

>
> More replies:
>
>.
>
> Who wouldn't? Imagine if you were given creative
> freedom to do something - I
> pesonally wouldn't want to rehash old stuff.
>

but g wing IS a rehash of old stuff, even moreso than
the UC followups -- TOS, to be precise. some would
say it's a rip-off of 0079. and that's a big reason
why many oldschool fans despise wing.

that's funny though -- i'm a macross fan, and i don't
despise macross II nearly as much as i *theoretically*
should, given the oldschool-fan-school-of-thought.
yes, i think it's a hack, but i get with it. robotech
3000 is gonna give me a pain in the intestines, but
i'll get with it.
 
> I remember the topic you guys brought up before
> about how you would make the
> next Gundam series. The one place I have yet to see
> Gundam go into is a
> fantasy setting like Escaflowne. Hmm. Imagine the
> possibilities with Nagano
> designing the mecha...
>

doesn't gundam have enough rennaisance elements to
give it a fantasy feel? they all seem to be into
fencing and so full of the stuff of dukedoms and noble
kingdoms and outerspace chivalry.

escaflowne is a one hit wonder, i tell you. i doubt
many could pull off that kind of retrotech fantasy
again.
 
> > Oh, and one general comment. With the debut of
> Wing on U.S. television,
> > our little corner of fandom has the chance for a
> huge influx of
> > newcomers.
>
> True, but there is the chance that these fans would
> be too far off from how
> most of us feel about Gundam. I had the same
> experience with Batman and my
> appreciation of the 70s Neal Adams era with all the
> gothic horror stuff. The
> teenage Batman fans just don't get why I like that
> stuff.

yes, fed -- a *chance*. but there's also a chance
that these newcomers might get into the old stuff.
like me. of course, i don't think i fit in with the
newcomer stereotype of gen x viewer, seeing as how we
basically had the same background. (let's NOT bring
up the generation gap topic again...)

>
> > The protestations of UC-bigotry that have been
> cropping up on
> > this list are just plain silly. Welcome the
> newcomers and show them our
> > ways; I'll lay odds that fans whose first exposure
> to Gundam is by way of
> > Wing will find lots to like in the rest of the
> saga.

i'll say it just once: this UC-bigotry, perhaps better
recognized as oldschool bigotry, is a crock of shit.
excuse the language. but it's true. feel free to
knock me because i'm new to gundam (one year, big
whoopee, duh), but i know i don't look down my nose at
newcomers to whatever i'm an old timer of.

>
> I have doubts about that, especially the women
> who'll like Gundam for
> another reason. ;P

*pounds fed again*

>
> > For quantification, I note that site traffic on
> the Gundam Project has
> > more than tripled since Gundam Wing debuted on
> Monday.

uhm, maybe that's me. i'm watching g wing for a third
time (first time, filipino dub -- didn't understand
what they were yammering about; second time english
sub, didn't enjoy the eye candy), so i can finally
understand the political schmooey behind all of it,
and i constantly click back to gundam project.
politics has always been way over my head. well,
surprise, surprise, it really IS sweeter the third
time around -- i detect more than a bit of romanticism
(although kinda flat sometimes) in the ideals tossed
around in g wing.

> These are the
> > Gundamaniacs of tomorrow, people. Get with it or
> get left behind.
>
> True. *sigh* tis our fate as UC fans.

aaaaaa, where does this kind of elitism get the entire
fandom?

nowhere. end of story. i'll shaddap now.

-garrick
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

-
Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/



This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Fri Mar 10 2000 - 02:08:24 JST