Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 00:18:14 -0800

Brett Jensen writes,

>Well, G, X, and Wing are only loosly based on tomino's creation. so It's
>debatable as to wether he has the "moral right" to declare them all one big
>timeline.

  Judging from the Turn A comic that's running in Comic BomBom - not
always the best yardstick, but there you go - this "unification" of all
the Gundam timelines is fairly vague and sweeping. On the theory that two
thousand years is plenty of time for a few cycles of progress and
decline, it's posited that human history has been stuck in an endless
repetition of colonization and space war, with the figure of the Gundam
(Earth's champion) as a recurring archetype. The various Gundam series
are used as props to underscore this point, which ironically could be
seen as a critique of what Tomino and his followers have done with the
franchise since the original series. ;-)

  While we're on the subject, I get the definite impression from the
interviews I've seen that Tomino thinks more highly of the alternate
universe sequels than of the faithful UC homages, most of which are
simple rehashes of the original series. Turn A really seems like his
attempt to avail himself of the same creative freedom that the creators
of Wing and G Gundam enjoyed...

WooJin Lee writes,

>One of the main problems I have with the all century idea that Turn A
>promotes is this: If future generations lost the ability to travel into
>space and then regained it a number of times, which is what this all seems
>to suggest, then shouldn't there be traces of Space Colonies left in space?

  You know, I started pondering this, and ended up wondering what the
operational life span of a colony cylinder really is. These things are
pretty fragile anyway, what with the impossible physics of the mirror
panels and a steady rain of meteor fragments. Throw in wear and tear,
declining maintenance, and the hazards of the post-F91 "space age of
warring states," and I'm not so sure they're sustainable in the long term.

  So if they fall apart after a few centuries, where did the debris go?
Well, considering the pinnacles of nanotechnology we see in G Gundam and
Turn A, it's possible that it might simply have been recycled.

  One last comment on this. Many months ago, a friend relayed a rumor
from the Japanese side that the Turn A was actually an existing Gundam
under a new guise. Given the latest revelations about its history (from
the BomBom serial), I'm developing my own suspicions as to its identity...

Oh, and one general comment. With the debut of Wing on U.S. television,
our little corner of fandom has the chance for a huge influx of
newcomers. The protestations of UC-bigotry that have been cropping up on
this list are just plain silly. Welcome the newcomers and show them our
ways; I'll lay odds that fans whose first exposure to Gundam is by way of
Wing will find lots to like in the rest of the saga.

  For quantification, I note that site traffic on the Gundam Project has
more than tripled since Gundam Wing debuted on Monday. These are the
Gundamaniacs of tomorrow, people. Get with it or get left behind.

-- Mark