Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 02:02:24 -0800

>Whether you like it or not will pretty much depend on whether you are a
>big fan of the OYW series or not. If you are, then this is as close as
>you will get to piloting a ground combat Federation MS and leading a small
>MS team.

Depends. I think fans of the Blue Destiny games will like this game, if they
don't get turned off by the more sim-like feel. This game feels very much
like it could have been a made into a 08th MS Team tie-in game.

>This game can be considered a 'real MS simulator' and this is where the
>reviewers often find problems with it. They expect mech games to be fast
>paced, action packed combat a la Virtual On, Armored Core etc...They are
>not expecting or comprehend a slower paced mech simulator.

I'll agree with everything except for the "real" part. The game gives you
unlimited ammo as long as you live long enough for the ammo to magically
regenerate. I must have fired thousands of machine gun rounds in a single
mission, imagine how many clips that'd take!

>There are 9 stages each with varying mission objectives.
>If you are a decent gamer, the first time you play from beginning to end
>should take you around 8 hours with total stage clear times of about
>70-80 minutes the first time. Some of the stages are more difficult than
>others, and all the Zeon MS are very tough, or rather the weapons
>available to you are relatively weak.

Incredibly weak. Doesn't matter what the stats say, GMs are weaklings
compared to Zeon MS.

>There is a lot of speech in this game and very little text, it is pretty
>much non-stop speech from the beginning to the end. Non-Japanese speaking
>importers of the game have trouble playing this game as a result because
>they don't understand the battle field communication coming in over the
>radio.

While that's true, the command function of your in-game computer does display
your goals in English. Basically, kill all enemy MS/MA and destroy any
assigned target, simple as that.

>The graphics are fantastic,

Hmmm... Tet, you should check out other Dreamcast games like Soul Calibur
or Crazy Taxi. I am really disappointed with RFTA's graphics, it looked
way too plain and does not show off the DC's graphical muscles AT ALL.
Except for the higher resolution, one can easily mistake it as a PlayStation
title!

>the sound is great, the controls are fine although it seems some people
>have trouble operating so many buttons...Depending on the weapon you use
>and where it is targeted, with enough shots you can blow off different
>parts of an enemy MS...a headless Zaku is definitely a sight to see!
>(although it doesn't seem to affect it's combat ability too much).

My only problem was that switching to map/command mode breaks up the pacing
of the action, this also makes the game less of a true sim.

>A lot of people were disappointed that a Gundam can not be piloted nor
>does it make an appearance but it is perfectly in keeping with the story
>line. (The best MS you can pilot is a GM Sniper Custom II from 0080).

I dunno about you guys, but I am sick of Gundams being in every game. This
is a welcomed change.

>As you may have picked up, the Japanese version had special downloadable
>weapons and etc to bring the GM's specs up to Gundam levels. I'm sure the
>US version will incorporate these items as cheats instead of making
>everyone download them off the internet...I'm not sure what the US version
>will do about the Bonus disc though - it is a combat simulator which lets
>you fight against Gundam, GunTank and GunCannon.

The Gundam is unreal - it's moves like a damn fly, you can never nail it!
Its ground performance probably beats G3 in space!

>For me this game was the reason I bought the Dreamcast and I like it a
>lot. (Although it would have been perfect if it had even more MS). It is
>definitely a quality game through and through no doubt about that. You
>definitely won't feel ripped off or cheated if you decide to buy this
>game, especially if you are a Gundam OYW fan.

Having played through the game, I can say that the game is not bad for a
first-generation title on the Dreamcast. The mission designs are pretty solid,
especially considering that Bandai is not know for quality Gundam games.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0