Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:35:40 +0800

From: <Gundamboy@aol.com>

> One other minor point. This dates back 5 years, but why in gods name is
> Relena's last name Dorlan?! The Japanese actors clearly pronounce it
Dorian,
> as in "Picture of..." I like the 3rd sylable that the "i" adds, sounds
more
> dramatic "Door-i-ahn" Anyone else agree w/ me on this miniscule point?

Door-i-ahn sounds like Durian - a fruit native to South East Asia. For a
fruit that tastes so good - it leaves a very pungent smell that gets on your
clothes, your walls, your skin and stays there for half the day. The streets
in the outer parts of Bangkok are riddled with it. I think the Singaporeans
of this list know this smelly fruit as well. Not everyone likes it - hell,
some natives of SE Asia despise it.

I think this may have been a factor in considering the name change,
particularly since one of anime's key audiences are Asian American kids who
want to watch something close to their roots. I know a lot of Filipinos who
made similar jokes about Relena's name. :)

> Bandai never went with this spelling, and I just don't understand why. So
> can't blame the dubbers for this one.

Well, they gotta sell toys in South East Asia, I guess.

Fed