Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
5 Mar 2000 23:33:46 -0000

On Sun, 05 Mar 2000 13:10:26 -0800 Jonathan Souza <souzamail@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Since this is a Tomino work, might as well talk about the AnimeVillage
>release of Brain Powered. The tape has two episodes on it, and it's
>proven to be as weird as people on here that have seen it earlier have
>said.

Finally, another discussion I can participate in (don't collect the video games, so that is alot of threads right out there).

>Okay, I won't rehash the plot, but I can see some of the complaints and
>can understand them. And, want to counter them-
>
>*Show Weirdness-Yes, it's a WEIRD show, no doubt about that! But, take
>it from this perspective-many American fans had heard and seen
>everything about Evangelion before it even came to US shores in a
>subtitled format. How much had we seen/heard/discussed about Brain
>Powered?

I LIKED Brain Powered for its weirdness. As for Evangelion, I had never heard of it before a friend said I might like it, I went out and bought the first tape, and I loved it from the opening song. Pretty much the same with BP, but without the friend saying I might like it (I just saw the tape, and the fact that Tomino did it, and bought it. I do the same thing with Leiji Matsumoto's stuff).

>*Mecha Design-They're distincitve and much different than anything
>else. After serveral years of rehashing of the Macross/Gundam/Dunbine
>model of mecha, the design and operation of the Brain Powered and Grand
>Cher mecha are, to say the least, unique. I like how the look and
>operate and how they all seem to have personality quirks makes it much
>more fun to watch and enjoy.

Gotta agree with that. I also like the idea of living mecha.

>*Plottting-Yep, I do feel like I was dropped into the middle of
>something, without knowing much of what happened before. But, see the
>comment about Evangelion. How many people got into watching Evangelion
>on the list knowing at least some of the characters involved and how
>they related to each other?

Not me (see above), but I'm also used to "in media res" type shows (I grew up on Star Wars and Star Trek reruns and movies).

>I give Brain Powered three and a half Hunters out ouf five, I wish there
>were four episodes on the tape(like the first tape of Saber Marionette
>J), which would have helped to ease over some of the personality quirks,
>but it's pretty decent.
>
>Jon

I agree with this. Fortunately, once I get a chance to read this month's Animerica article on Brain Powerd (and interview with Tomino), I might have a bit better idea about what is going on. My one question, though, is this: I saw how alot of people on the list were commenting on seeing alot of nudity in the opening credits sequence. Where was this? I didn't notice too much (at least that I can remember), if any really. Or did they change the opening on the English dub tapes?

Roland