Paul Fields (johnny_raiden@hotmail.com)
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 03:09:50 EST

>I've been watching this discussion go back and forth, but stayed out of it
>because it was basically more heat than light.
>
>I shall now interject my only word on the topic, to wit: Tomino is not and
>should not be held accountable for any reactions beyond those of his target
>audience. In 1979, his target audience was the Japanese. If they didn't
>care about his use of the name Zion, then neither should we.

Amen... its not such a big deal really...

>That being said, Frederik L. Schodt and Ballantine Del Rey acted correctly
>in changing Zion to Zeon, in consideration of THEIR target audience,
>Americans who MIGHT care about the use of the name Zion. Ditto video
>distributors, who have the same target plus English speakers around the
>world.

Again thank you -Z- for bringing out the rational side of
this problem...

>It's always a problem when you go beyond your target audience -- or even to
>a new audience outside your previous experience. Classic examples:

>It could be worse. There's a symbol used in Eastern religions that looks
>like this:
>
>-------+ |
> | |
> | |
>+------+------+
>| |
>| |
>| +-------
>
>The Nazi swastika is a mirror image of it, as distinct as an inverted cross
>is from the upright one.

IT IS NOT INVERTED MIRRORED OR REVERSED!!!!!

The GERMANS have a rune from their ancient culture that
is the SUN, the waves away from the center can go either
way without changing the meaning, and there are many
example of it both ways in old Germanic texts....

>This one represents clockwise rotation and
>appears in American Indian art as well as Hindu and Buddhist texts. Viz
>has to run a disclaimer in every issue of Blade Of The Immortal, because
>the protagonist wears it as a crest on the back of his kimono and the art
>gets flipped left to right, so that he appears to be sporting a Nazi
>swastika.
>
>And, you know, even if the art weren't flipped, someone over here would
>STILL see it as a Nazi swastika and get upset about it.

Yes people will always see what they want to see.

>But the author and artist of the series should not be held accountable for
>the feelings over here, because he was writing and drawing for an audience
>who saw the symbol for what it was and had an entirely different view of
>its meaning, untinged by any associations with the Nazis.
>
>Which is more than you can say for the creators of Gundam 0080 and Gundam
>0083, who deliberately Nazified the Zeon, without Tomino's knowledge or
>consent.
>
>-Z-

Paul