mirai y (zafikel@hotmail.com)
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 20:18:27 EST

>From: -Z- <Z@Gundam.Com>
>
>I got the impression that the technology wasn't lost so much as forsworn --
>something like the Amish or some of the 60s communes. Tomino had something
>like that in the original Gundam, with entire communities of "caretakers"
>who lived traditional pre-industrial lifestyles on Earth to preserve the
>cultures of societies that had been exiled to space.

That's a very good point. It seemed as though the MS in Turn-A were
purposely hidden and protected from view. They weren't simply lost and
became buried over time.

>Tomino seems to be using nudity to symbolize freedom of spirit here. In
>the past, he's used nudity for comic effect more often than not, as with
>the Usso escape scene. When he's not using it to yank the audience's
>chain, he often uses it to convey childlike innocence. And, of course,
>pure spirits are shown as nudes, as in the famous conclusion of Ideon and
>various Newtype encounters.

Yes! Exactly! Loran's personality reminds me very much of Usso. Both are
innocent, pure, free-spirits. I think Loran's hitting his crotch was more
for comic effect...

>I think that Tomino's anime is so affecting because Tomino cares about his
>characters and is able to make his audience care, but he is not protective
>of his characters and lets them get hurt. It's the same thing that made
>Babylon 5 so good -- a writer who creates characters with whom we can
>identify and puts them in situations whose consequences are deeply felt by
>all concerned.

Yes- I also really liked Babylon 5, exactly for the reasons you mentioned.
I think in both cases, the main producer of the series really took their
storytelling seriously, making characters who were interesting and real.

mirai