mirai y (zafikel@hotmail.com)
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 20:04:43 EST

>From: "David \"Jojo\" Wong" <Macross3@excite.com>
>
>Is Gasaraki any good? I liked Takahashi's work on Votoms, but a lot of
>people thought this show was a bit impenetrable.

I really liked Gasaraki - it had strong political undertones, (quite
anti-American, I might add) and most of its Japanese fans seem to be well
into their 20's and 30's. It definitely is not the typical anime popular
with teenagers. I was also a little disappointed with the ending, though.
Still, I thought it was well done, very different, and many Japanese fans of
Gasaraki think that it was just too far ahead of its time and will be seen
in a more positive light 10 yrs. from now.

>Still, Sunrise has done some pretty good shows lately. Cowboy Bebop, Vision
>of Escaflowne, etc. I wouldn't say all new anime is crap, although I do
>admit only about one or two shows a season interest me.

I liked Cowboy Bebop, and Esca ranks among one of my most favorite anime
ever. It's just that this season, they don't seem to be doing too much
interesting stuff.

I also absolutely loved Brain Powerd. I found it to be one of those rare
anime which tells a story about women in different stages of life, the
choices they make, and the consequences. It had a mature shoujo feel to it,
not the usual "high school girl falls in love with a guy" story. (Being a
middle-aged mom with a career and 2 kids, I really empathized with the
characters) Besides that, the character designs were 80's-ish, sort of
shoujo (not as much as Esca, though), animation was beautifully done, and
Kanno's music was as gorgeous as ever. It doesn't really fit the category
of mecha, sci-fi, fantasy, or shoujo and I think that's the main problem.
Not enough action or cool mecha for guys, too mature and not shoujo enough
for most girls, and most moms aren't anime fans...

mirai