-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:24:02 -0800

At 17:00 2/23/2000 +1300, you wrote:
>I made corrections as well as suggestions and also the meaning of some
>titles so that you can come up with a better title to your liking.
>
>Z and Scott DiBerardino wrote:
>
>> > #1: Prelude
>It probably doesn't matter but why not leave in the ZZ? 'Prelude ZZ' or
>'ZZ Prelude'

The way they tossed in the ZZ, I thought it was a background graphic, not
part of the title. Prelude ZZ it is, then.

>> > #2: The Boys Of Shangri-La
>The 'shonen' in this case is probably singular referring only to Judo.

OK by me. I went with plural because I thought it referred to the entire
junkyard gang.

>> > #3: Warrior Of Endora
>It's not warrior but knight. 'Knight of Endora'.

Duly noted.

>> > #4: Mashima's Fiery Blood *
>'Fiery Blood' is probably too strong and inappropriate for this
>character. He has a huge crush on (I won't say love) Hamaan and will do
>anything to please her and get her to notice him more. He is also a
>'knight' in the sense that he strongly believes in the code of war,
>honour, fair fight etc...albeit he is incompetent, a dreamer, and a
>lunatic. But words like short-temper, anger, rage doesn't apply to him. I
>can't think of a good alternative right now...but 'Mashima's Passion' is
>more accurate.

I'd already arrived at that same conclusion following the previous
exchange. Mashima's Passion,

>> > #6: Zssa Menace
>'Zssa the Menace', 'Zssa's menace'

Zssa's Menace fits best the other titles.

>> > #10: Adieu, Fa
>Does 'Sayonara Fa' need to be translated? Why Adieu? why not Goodbye, or
>au revoir or farewell etc...

Blame it on Leiji Matusmoto. At the time I was working out these titles, I
was also watching Adieu Galaxy Express 999. "Sayonara" in hiragana was
Romanized as "Adieu" on the screen, so I took that as the preferred
translation.

>> > #11: Create Double-Zeta!
>> More like, "Activate! Double-Zeta"
>'shidou' is the words Japanese use for starting machines. The title will
>depend on what English word you prefer to use in reference to starting up
>MS. I can't really think of a one word equivalent which sounds good.
>Activating a MS doesn't sound right to me.

"Double-Zeta, start ... your ... engines!" (Sorry, too much NASCAR!)

How about: "Kick it! Double-Zeta"

Or: "Crank! Double-Zeta"

Until we can come up with something better, I guess I'll just use "Start!"

>> > #12: All's Well, Then Leina Disappears!
>'Leina has disappeared' or 'Leina is gone' or 'Leina is missing'

That doesn't scan in English. "Leina goes missing" works, though.

>> > #13: For Little Sister
>I think just 'Little Sister' is fine here.

I think it works better this way, as in "For God & Country"....

>> > #14: Ghost Colony (Part 1)
>> > #15: Ghost Colony (Part 2)
>'maboroshi' in this sense is dreamlike or in a vision not ghost. It is in
>reference to the Moon Moon colony home to the Light people where
>technology has been forsworn and the colony itself has been 'lost' from
>the rest of civilisation for several generations. It is more like
>Shangri-la or Brigadoon than Judo's Shangri-la. A lost paradise, a dream
>land etc...
>It's difficult to come up with a short English title for this one.

More "Ghostly" than "Ghost" then.

How about "Dreamland Colony"?

>> > #16: Ahgama's Noon Battle **
>> "Boarding of the Ahgama" (close combat)
>'hakuheisen' is Japanese for hand-to-hand combat (or close combat).
>Essentially all MS are thus built for this purpose and this word appears
>frequently in 'Gundam' with respect to MS.
>'Close combat aboard Argama', 'Battle aboard Argama' etc something along
>those lines.
>In this episode gunfight occurs inside Argama as well as enemy MS landing
>on Argama.

"Shootout In Ahgama"?

>> > #17: Stolen Base! Core Top
>This should be something along the lines of 'Recapture the Core Top'.
>Kyara the mentally unstable woman sent to replace Mashima steals the Core
>Top after she has had enough of laundry duty aboard the Argama and
>decides to go home.

OK.

>> > #19: Ple & Axis &--
>Just 'Ple & Axis' or 'With Ple & Axis' the second 'to' in such cases do
>not mean '&'

Got it.

>> > #22: Jude Goes On The Attack
'shutsugeki' is military speak and means sally or sortie, which doesn't
>sound very good as a title and doesn't necessarily mean go on the attack.
>Other English words that I can think of is 'launch' or 'deploy' which
>seems fine for things but not people...

This is another parallel with Z, like Runaway Emma -> Runaway Roux. In Z,
it was Katsu's Sortie (Episode 15). Jude's Sortie, then.

>> > #23: To Burn The Earth
>> 'moeru' is intransitive: "Burning Earth"
>This is a little ambiguous and sound like one is going to burn Earth when
>in fact the Earth is already burning. 'Earth that burns' or 'Earth burns'
>is more appropriate I think.

"Earth Ablaze" or "Earth Aflame" would convey what you describe, I think.

>> > #24: Love Blooms In The Southern Land
>The love here is the love between brother and sister. Blooms is the wrong
>word., and it is in the South Seas or Southern Sea. I guess it will have
>to be a long title to fit all that, in English. ' Love that exists
>between brother and sister in the South Seas'. or something like that.
>The brother and sister in question are not Judo and Leina but there is a
>close parallel.

English is sadly deficient in words for the various types of love, unlike
most other languages, which clearly distinguish filial or familial and
romantic or amorous love by using entirely different words. We have to
make do with modifiers like "filial" and "romantic" and the old standby,
Platonic.

Familial, filial and Platonic love are usually characterized as "affection"
or "fondness" and brothers and sisters are jointly referred to as
"siblings". What we have here is the opposite of "sibling rivalry" -- but
English has no antonym for rivalry other than cooperation.

"Close Siblings In The South Seas"?

>> > #26: Masai's Spirit
>I think 'Masai's Heart' is the more appropriate translation in this case.

OK by me.

>> > #29: Roux's Escape
>> "Roux's Desertion"; she goes AWOL in this one, right?
>'dasso' as in the Z Gundam Episode 4 title is the Japanese military word
>for 'desertion'. 'toubo' here means desertion when it is off a ship.
>Since Roux does go AWOL from Argama in this episode, 'Roux's desertion'
>is the more appropriate title.

I'll stick with Runaway Roux, thank you.

>> > #30: Blue Squadron (Part 1)
>> > #31: Blue Squadron (Part 2)
>'Blue Unit', 'Blue Corps', 'Blue Battalion' are more appropriate. They
>are a small elite ground based MS unit. They are perhaps too small to be
>considered a real battalion but the name is catchy and they are the most
>powerful group(the only group?) fighting for Africa's independence.

Americans are cued to associate colors with teams or squadrons. If I were
to change it, I think I'd opt for Blue Team.

>> > #36: Ple-2 Of Heavy G Base
>> "Gravity of Ple Two"
>'Juryoku' is Japanese for gravity. 'juryokuka' means pulled down by
>gravity. Ple Two descends to Earth and fights Ple One and Judo after the
>colony drop. Ple One gets between Ple Two and Judo, and is killed in the
>process.
>It should be something like 'Ple2's gravitational downfall' . This will
>represent Ple2's literal descent to Earth as well as the moment in which
>she starts to discover her own true identity and later turn to the 'good
>side'.

Allen Steele has a wonderful SF book called ORBITAL DECAY and Lois McMaster
Bujold has an even better one called FALLING FREE. And, of course, there's
Walter Tevis' THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH. All suggest ways of working with
this title, by overriding all is the recurring phrase "Those Whose Souls
Are (Held / Drawn / Pulled) Down By Gravity" used throughout the series.

I suggest "Ple-2, Pulled Down By Gravity"....

>> > #38: Jamru-Fin
>This title is missing the 'tetsubeki' part, it should be 'Iron Wall -
>Jamru Fin'.

I somehow missed that completely.

>> > #39: Sarasa Returns
>I think 'Reappearance of Sarasa' is the more appropriate title and better
>reflects 'sairin'. Also consider the fact that the only place Sarasa left
>is her Moon Moon colony and she is not returning there in this episode.

OK by me.

>> > #40: Tiger Balm's Dream
>> Dream as in fantasy or illusion, I think.
>Since Tiger Balm is the name of a colony, it could be 'A dream about
>Tiger balm' or ' Tiger Balm's illusion'. It has a double meaning in
>respect to the episode.

How about "Vision Of Tiger Balm"?

>> > #41: Rasara's Command
>> I thought this was "Advent of Rasara", but my memory fails me
>It's 'Rasara's life'. She dies in this one. MYO/mei/inochi/ means life.
>In most cases it doesn't mean order, command or decree on it's own.

Got it.

>> > #42: Core-3 Maiden (Part 1)
>> > #43: Core-3 Maiden (Part 2)
>'Maiden of Core-3' or 'Maiden from Core-3'

In English, the meaning of all three is the same.

>> > #44: Emily Expires
>'sange' means the scattering of flower petals. It means the death of a
>flower and symbolizes Emily's death. Someting like 'Emily - The flower
>sheds its petals' or 'Emily - Wilting flower' ... I'm sure there must be
>an English word for the process of a flower losing its petals, but it
>will probably sound too scientific and not poetic...

"Blighted Blossom Emily"?

-Z-