David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:03:36 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:49:26 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> I think that Tomino's anime is so affecting because Tomino cares about
his
> characters and is able to make his audience care, but he is not
protective
> of his characters and lets them get hurt. It's the same thing that made
> Babylon 5 so good -- a writer who creates characters with whom we can
> identify and puts them in situations whose consequences are deeply felt
by
> all concerned.
>
> I wonder if Tomino cries, laughs, shouts and cheers when he's writing...?

Depends of Tomino's already questionable mental state.

Still, I really do think Tomino has more respect for his characters than
most writers of anime do--Anno seemed to treat his like guinea pigs in
Evangelion--it makes a big difference.

Opinion question: Has Tomino's directing style changed? It seems that
between ZZ (or Victory) and Brain Powered, his style has become more
erratic. Or maybe it's just me and he's always been like that.

Jojo