-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:41:44 -0800

At 14:34 2/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>-Z- wrote:
>> #27: Leina's Blood (Part 1) ***
>> * "Fiery Blood" is a literal translation, but "Hot-Headed" might be closer
>> to the intended meaning.
>> *** "Blood" (chi) is used here is the same sense of "soul" as in the
>> marital arts term (chi or ki).
>
>Is the "blood" in Leina's Blood the same word as Fiery Blood? I think the
>"blood" in the second case is the kanji for the literal blood (and yes
>"hot-headed" is pretty good translation for "hot-blooded"). But if
>Leina's blood is also the kanji, I kind of doubt that it's meant as chi.

It's the same character, KETSU/chi, 6 strokes, thus:

     /
  +-+-+-+
  | | | |
-+-+-+-+-

>As I understand it, Japanese uses kanji for both chi (air) and blood
>(blood). In Chinese the two concepts are well seperated even thought both
>concepts are related to Chinese medicine/philosophy. I would be rather
>surprised if Japanese confuse the two.

In both cases, the emotion or spirit of the individual seems to be the
topic. In Mashima's case, it's his fiery blood or hot temper; in Leina's
case, it's her (implied) youthful or innocent spirit.

Or I may be totally off base and they just mean blood in the sense of her
kinship to big brother Jude....

-Z-