Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:45:49 -0800

Federico Makabenta writes,

>Question: When is it considered an official English style spelling of the
>character's name?

  Technically, only when Sunrise issues a multi-page memo listing
approved spellings of all the character and mobile suit names. I don't
know whether they did this in the case of Gundam W and Gundam X, though
it's hard to see how else all the third-party publishers would magically
end up spelling the names the exact same way. But they have, belatedly,
issued an English spelling memo for the original series (which I can
confirm because, well, I have a copy).

  Another fairly official source would be English spellings used in the
animation itself. These aren't always internally consistent, but there's
a preponderance of evidence that, say, the bad guys in V Gundam are meant
to be the Zanscare Empire.

-- Mark