-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 19:14:19 -0800

At 16:10 2/9/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>>'hoshi' in this sentence is ambiguous. Could be a star or a planet. But
>>in either case, the Turn X appears to have come from outside the solar
>>system. (If I recall correctly wasn't a 10th planet discovered beyond
>>Pluto a few years back?)
>
>Yeah, there was, but seeing how that the don't consider Pluto a planet
>anymore by definition, we really got eight.

Actually, Pluto is considered a double planet: Pluto/Charon. There are
some who think Pluto would be better classified as a large asteroid or
comet rather than as a planet. Some consider it to be the largest of the
Kuiper Belt objects (also known as Trans-Neptunian Objects). There is
considerable merit to the latter position, but historically Pluto has been
classified as a planet and it is likely to remain so, as witness this IAU
press release:

http://www.iau.org/PlutoPR.html

The "Planet X" notion goes back quite a ways, too:

http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/billa/tnp/hypo.html#planetx

And, since 1983, we've got a new contender, a dark star called Nemesis
that's supposedly responsible for cyclical swarms of potential
dinosaur-killers:

http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/billa/tnp/hypo.html#nemesis

The ambiguity of the word "hoshi" lends itself to either explanation,
although the specification of "X" suggests the old Planet X trope.

-Z-