Evan (baka@flash.net)
Fri, 04 Feb 2000 02:12:30 -0600

> See, this is where I disagree. Gundam Wing, despite the "Super Robot"
>feel many of us get when watching it, is all about plot twists and
>characters and how they interact with each other. The "mood" editing is
>going to completely destroy that. God, I wish American kids werent so
>F*cked up these days that they couldnt deal with some tasteful violence
>(yes, there is such a thing) and conflict in a TV show without it warping
>their little minds.

Well, let's face it... our social priorities are in the wrong place. I
remember when I was at a high school last spring after the columbine thing,
and the school was kicking people out left and right for pretty much any
infraction, but then I saw a "KILL LAMAR" (name of other high school)
banner on the baseball clubhouse. "Gee, where could these violent
sentiments and this lust and appreciation for cruelty come from? WAIT, THAT
KID WHO'S ALWAYS REALLY NICE TO PEOPLE, KEEPS TO HIMSELF, AND DOESN'T HAVE
ANYTHING IN THE FORM OF DISCIPLANARY ACTION ON HIS RECORDS IS WEARING A
ROCK AND/OR ROLL T-SHIRT! KICK HIM OUT! CALL THE EXORCIST! *whew* Boy,
we're going to crucify the other team tomorrow night while their mothers
watch and cry like bitches..."

Americans have blue balls for violence. As long as it's not done
realistically, like in Resevoir Dogs (City On Fire), it's "action", and is
viewed in another light (ie "as light entertainment"). The thing about
Gundam is that I wouldn't want to live in that universe for a damn good
chunk of change. It was integral in changing my mind from the
pre-adolescent "War is cool" style of thinking to the "Jesus, this is
horrible" mindset that I hope to be in for the rest of my days. Yeah,
chances are Cartoon Express will rip the series a new one and put putty in
the original crack (I want royalties if any of you use that in your
vernaculars), but I'm still psyched to see it. It's not like I could find
the fansubs or whatever done here...

As far as the "making us look like dolts" thing, I think that is a moot
point. Pardon me for being pragmatic and excuse me even more if I come
across as condescending, but of course you're going to take some shit for
liking what is considered a "strange" artform to people in the middle of
nowhere. Remember how weird it was when you liked anime back in 91 or 92 if
you lived in a small town? It's nothing now compared to then...

Heh, I'm getting old...
Ev.