-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Thu, 03 Feb 2000 12:25:24 -0800

At 21:44 2/3/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>OK. I want to get a Gundam book with great internal detail drawing sketches
>and conceptual designs. Doesn't matter what series its from. I want
>something that shows how these mecha designers do their designs from concept
>to the execution phase in animation. If possible, info on how they make toys
>from them. I heard Katoki Hajime came up with something like this...
>
>Which Gundam book do you guys recommend?

While I've seen a number of different references (especially of late, with
all the 20th anniversary retrospectives) that show pre-production artwork
or design sketches, I don't think I've ever seen one on how a production is
mounted.

There are, however, a number of start-to-finish modeling books that map out
how a scratch build was done in excruciating detail. These can be very
remote from the animation on which they are based, though.

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing a Gundam "conte"
(continuity) art book....

The closest thing that I can find to what you describe may be difficult to
find nowadays: the Model Graphix "Gundam Wars" trilogy published by Dai
Nippon Kaiga over ten years ago.

Model Graphix Special Edition Gundam Wars I: Project Z (ISBN4-499-20525-5)
160 pages (64 color)

Model Graphix Special Edition Gundam Wars II: Mission ZZ
(ISBN4-499-20526-3) 160 pages (64 color)

Model Graphix Special Edition Gundam Wars III: Gundam Sentinel - The Battle
of "Real Gundam" (ISBN4-499-20530-1) 320 pages (160 color)

There were two more books of more recent vintage, but I can't vouch for them:

Model Graphix Special Edition Gundam Wars IV: Fighting G
(ISBN4-499-22655-4) 200 pages (88 color)

Model Graphix Special Edition Gundam Wars V: Secret W (ISBN4-499-22666-X)
176 pages (88 color)

I have no idea if you'll be able to find any of these, as even Nikaku
Animart no longer lists them.

-Z-