Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:57:03 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: James Boren <jboren@earthlink.net>
To: gundam@aeug.org <gundam@aeug.org>
Date: Thursday, February 03, 2000 6:46 PM
Subject: [gundam] gundam references in anime

>I was just watching episode 32 or 33 of the Patlabor TV series when....
>
>a team of Shaft's labors make a group attack- one yelling "JET STEAM
ATTACK!!!"
>The assault is broken up. "Damn, I've practicing that move for weeks." one
>says.
>
>Bravo! It caught me completely by surprise. Any other gundam references in
>anime out there? (Besides Otaku no Video)
>
>-James

I've just been re-watching the first 3 episodes of Nadesico, and I noticed a
couple - firstly, the scene at the beginning of ep. 1 with the Tulip falling
on Mars looks exactly like the colony drop sequence, and I have a feeling
that Yurika fantasizing about Akito telling her "Omae o korosu" is a GW ref.

Also, this isn't anime but I noticed a couple of Gundam refs in the Mekton Z
"Invasion Terra" book - there's a character called "North Frozen" (a ref to
0083's South Burning), and the scenario where the ESPer Lens-equipped mecha
appears is called "A New Type of Weapon" (Get it? Newtype? Awful pun).
And while I'm on RPGs, I think the Sakura in Lightning Strike: Behind The
Veil is basically the Alpha Aziel.