Richard Holman (homer@mcn.net)
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:05:02 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Dynon <ajdynon@students.latrobe.edu.au>
To: gundam@aeug.org <gundam@aeug.org>
Date: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: The state of Anime on American TV (Was-Re: [gundam] Did
Tominoinvent Mecha?)

Gargoyles,
>>> X-Men, are some of the good examples of good kids cartoons that America
>can
>>> make.
>>
>>Rightey-o. With the sole exception of Batman and Gargoyles (and perhaps
the
>X-men), American cartoons cater to the prime-time sitcom crowd. Everything
>gets perfectly resolved in 30 minutes (and the main characters never change
>their clothes). hah hah. Aside from the easy resolution, characters are not
>developed and cater to a younger mind with ridiculous antics or pure
>action....
>>
>>*sigh* Maybe that's why we all loved Gatchaman, Robotech, and
>Transformers--because they were originally Japanese (and still retained
some
>depth of interest, even though they too were Americanized).
>

>There was also Exo-Squad, and, going back a few years, Prince Valiant.

OK, these are good too, but I was thinking that some of the best American
animation has been lisenced product, lately I have been very impressed with
Men In Black, and Godzilla (based on the US movie). BTW if anyone knows
where to find all of the Godzilla eps on tape plase private e-mail me.

After that, US stuff is border line, (action titles on WB rock, but thats
about it), I miss some of the imports, or made for American TV by Japanese
studio shows, like Pole Position, Mighty Orbots and The Real Ghostbusters.
Those were the days.