Tue, 1 Feb 2000 10:21:26 +0000

In message <3895EDFC.88B761F7@d2.com>, Alfred Stuart Urrutia
<ledzep@d2.com> writes
>Paul Fields wrote:
(snip)
>I prefer, if it were to exist, the anti-artillery used in Hammer's Slammers.
>Funny you should mention missles vs. artillery, there's a great series of
>books written by Harry Turtledove about aliens invading WWII era Earth. The
>aliens' tech is basically about 10 years ahead of us (minus interstellar
>flight) so they have discarding sabot firing tanks, helicopter gunships, etc.
>The Germans actually manage to get about 5 rounds off from one of their
>massive railroad guns. The part that describes the aliens' horror as their
>anti-missles bounce off the massive shell is kind of humorous. Low tech vs.
>high tech. And well thought out history changes. Read it. It should be made
>into a cable series.

        I have read the series up to volume three - a new book is out
right now, set a few years after and looks like it will be another
series describing what happens when the alien colony fleet arrives (you
can work that out from the cover blurb). My main disappointment with the
first three books is the inconclusive ending, which is a complete lead
on for the new series... I loved that scene with the artillery gun...!
(pity what happens to it, though... ) ^_^

Everyones a noble mind; | |
Believing in a sign of Zeta, | |
Beyond the hard times from now! | |