Tomonaga (Tomonaga@xtra.co.nz)
Tue, 01 Feb 2000 19:32:41 +1300

Chien Ting Chin wrote:

> Neil Baumgardner wrote:
> > This is a question mostly for the gurus like Mark and Z. I've been
> > working on some Mekton MS stats for my erstwhile Gundam 0084 campaign
>
> Hi, I realize there are a number of hardcore gamers here. And you must be
> annoyed at ignorant softcores like me. But ehh I want to bring up Gundam
> Simulation again.
>
> >From a glance at Neil's site I realize how incredibly complicated Mekton
> must be. Obviously it's very realistic but for us softcore gamers or even
> non-gamers, it's very hard to get into. There's something to be said
> about highly simplified wargames such as chess. That's where Gundam
> Simulation comes it. It's an obscure item I've only found out from the
> G-Shop CDROM. I've collected all the information I can found from the
> CDROM and compiled a little page:
>
> http://side7.gundam.com/newtype_asylum/mania/simul/gunsim.htm
>
> There are pics of the box art, runner, board, painted game pieces, and
> most importantly rules and stats. From the stats alone you can tell it's
> a relatively simple game: only 14 different units, each unit has only 4
> different stats ("Combative value"?, Armour?, Attack and Defence).
> Combined with the relatively small board size (17 x 20.5 hexagons) you
> have a game that should be easy to learn and quick to play (1 or 2
> hours?).
>
> It looks like fun, but I really would like to learn the rules, can anyone
> look at the page and try to figure out the rules. The scanned pics of
> the rule pages are barely readable, but for a Japanese-illiterate like me,
> it's pretty hopeless. I can only translate the stats page (which is
> included in the above link).
>
> Any info is appreciated, thanks!
>
> CHIN, Chien Ting
> Dept of Medical Biophysics, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre
> ... o O *
> Man is a bubble

Gundam Models Perfect Catalogue Ver 1.0 has some info on the game.

Two versions of the game were produced.
1) The original hastily released version made by Tsukuda Hobby(1981 at 600yen)

2) Deluxe version of 1) released by Bandai (4800yen).

I'm not 100% certain but I think the one pictured in the book and the one at
your website is the 600yen version. (The description/captions in the book are
contradictory and ambiguous). The original 600 yen version was a big hit with
the fans and Bandai later released a more deluxe version under it's own
simulation game brand 'if Series'. The success of the intial version ensured
the future release of these types of games for other anime series as well.

The 4800 version included more MS(37), more elaborate game board, the game
sheet was now printed on cardboard, as well as a more substantial game book

Many fans apparently bought the game just to get the kits for making dioramas.

Using 200% zoom I was able to make out most of it so here it is...
If you are familiar with any of the Playstation Gundam G Generation simulation
games, the rules are very similar in concept.

GAME START
This is a two player game. Gouf & Zugock are bonus MS and are not used in the
game.
You need two dice for gameplay.
Determine which side the players are going to control and also who goes first.

Each player will then each throw one of the dice and determine the MS
availability by referring to the game sheet.

Player 1- Federation
1,2=Gundam, GunCannon, GunTank, GM(x2), Ball(x2)
3,4=Gundam, GunCannon, GM(x3??), Ball
5,6=Gundam, GunTank, GM(x2), Ball(x2)

Player 2 - Zeon
1,2=Ziong, Gelgoog(x2), Zaku I, Zaku II, Rick Dom(x2)
3,4=Elmeth, Char's Gelgoog, Rick Dom(x3??), Zaku II
5,6=Char's Zaku, Rick Dome(x2), Zaku II, Zaku I, Gyan

eg Player 1 throws the dice and it's a '4'. Player 1 starts with the MS in the
'3,4=' row.

Place the available MS in their starting spaces on the appropriate ends of
the game board. (NB: All game pieces from hereon will be referred to as MS
despite Elmeth being an MA.)

GAME OBJETIVES
The play continues until either of the two game objectives are achieved:
- Total destruction of enemy MS
- Capturing all three colony spaces simultaneously by(i)occupying the colony
space (ii)being the nearest MS in attacking range.

MOVING THE PIECES
Each player in turn will decide on the actions of all their available MS.
For moving the MS refer to the game sheet as the maximum number of spaces each
MS can move in any direction differs from 3 to 5 according to MS type. (It is
the numbers in the first column of the stats table.)

- Only one MS can occupy any one space.
- You can move as many or as little of your own MS as you wish.
- You can position your MS any where within its available range.

COMBAT
A player can choose to attack the other player's MS only if it is within
attack range. The attack range is either 1 or 2 spaces depending on MS type.(
It is the numbers in the second column of the stats table.)

To attack the enemy MS , first inform the other player, then refer to the game
sheet and obtain the attack ability number(AAN) for the attacking MS and also
the defence ability number(DAN) for the enemy MS. (AAN is the third
column,DANthe fourth column of the stats table)

Subtract DAN from AAN to get the effective damage number(EDN)

AAN-DAN=EDN

The attacking player will then throw two dice together to get the damage
number (DN)

If EDN>DN then the enemy MS is completely destroyed and is removed from the
game board.

If EDN=DN then the enemy MS is temporarily disabled. This MS will remain on
the game board and be inactive for one turn, and then becomes active again.

If EDN<DN then the enemy MS has managed to avoid the attack unscathed.

In the situation where one MS is attacked by two or more MS, two
disables=destroyed.
i.e a disabled MS can be completely destroyed by another disabling attack.
A disabled MS remains a valid target at all times.

OBSTRUCTIONS
Some of the spaces on the game board represent obstructions. No MS can pass
through, nor attack through these spaces.

The game rules were deliberately made simple to be accessible to all Gundam
fans but at the same time it served as a good introduction into the more
complex forms of simulation gaming.

All in all, it seems like a fun game to play, and the great thing is with the
scanned images and the above rules, you can easily make your own ! : )

Tet