Alfred Stuart Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:18:04 -0800

Paul Fields wrote:

> > >I would rather use heavy artillery than missiles though... a missile can
> be
> > >thwarted... a shell, well, if I fire a bullet at you, unless you're Neo,
> from
> > >the Matrix, or one of those Agents, umm... bai!
> > >
> > Or armed with a Sea Wolf missile system, which has in tests,
> > knocked 76mm shells out of the air... ^_^
>
> I'm glad someone had an example, because bullets and
> artillery are SLOWER than many modern cruise missiles.
> Although the missile is the bigger target.
>
> Paul

I prefer, if it were to exist, the anti-artillery used in Hammer's Slammers.
Funny you should mention missles vs. artillery, there's a great series of
books written by Harry Turtledove about aliens invading WWII era Earth. The
aliens' tech is basically about 10 years ahead of us (minus interstellar
flight) so they have discarding sabot firing tanks, helicopter gunships, etc.
The Germans actually manage to get about 5 rounds off from one of their
massive railroad guns. The part that describes the aliens' horror as their
anti-missles bounce off the massive shell is kind of humorous. Low tech vs.
high tech. And well thought out history changes. Read it. It should be made
into a cable series.

Alfred.