David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:59:24 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 22:42:56 +0000, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> In message <4.2.2.20000129140103.00a43980@mail.w3media.net>, -Z-
> <Z@Gundam.Com> writes
> >At 14:13 1/28/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>
> There might actually be a couple of earlier candidates, although
> I suspect Go Nagai probably gets the award for making the idea of a
> piloted giant robot so popular. One entrant is the unknown Japanese
> propaganda artist who drew a picture of a huge, multi-gunned robot
> crushing the US military with its steel feet and zapping planes with its
> ray guns. (I've seen it in an illustration somewhere, I can't remember
> where though).

The illustration was probably the one that was shown in the book you
mentioned later on..."Dreamland Japan," or the other Fred Schodt book--the
name of it eludes me at the present time. This illustration was drawn near
the end of...World War 2? When Japan was in a frustrated state? I think it
was meant to alleviate the frustrations of the Japanese by showing them a
wish-fulfillment image. I don't remember a lot about this, so maybe someone
could help me here.

Jojo