Sat, 29 Jan 2000 22:42:56 +0000

In message <4.2.2.20000129140103.00a43980@mail.w3media.net>, -Z-
<Z@Gundam.Com> writes
>At 14:13 1/28/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> >While based on a giant robot anime, this list is firmly grounded in the
> >Mecha genre(advanced combat vehicles), rather than the Super Robot
> >genre(robot vehicle as superhero). Nearly everybody seems to make these
> >distinctions, but I got to wondering tonight, did Tomino ((create)) this
> >distinction between Super Robots and Mecha?
(snip)
>I think credit should go to Go Nagai, who introduced the concept of
>"driveble robots" -- that is, robots as machinery that is steered by a
>human just like any other machine -- some years before Gundam. While Nagai
>also worked in the Giant Robot genre, his machines were always machines and
>never evidenced a persona or spirit of their own.

        There might actually be a couple of earlier candidates, although
I suspect Go Nagai probably gets the award for making the idea of a
piloted giant robot so popular. One entrant is the unknown Japanese
propaganda artist who drew a picture of a huge, multi-gunned robot
crushing the US military with its steel feet and zapping planes with its
ray guns. (I've seen it in an illustration somewhere, I can't remember
where though).
        The other candidate pretty much needs no introduction - Osamu
Tezuka, the "God of manga". According to Fred Schodts Dreamland Japan, a
Astro-Boy/Tetsuwan Atom manga episode featured humans driving large
robots on Mars. Unfortunately, the book doesn't show any illustrations.
It dates the episode as appearing in 1954. Tezuka-san, it seems, had to
wait a while for everyone else to catch up... ^_^
        Thunderbirds also featured a drivable, large, multi-legged
military vehicle called a Sidewinder, I believe this is the closest the
series got to a proper mecha as the term is usually meant to mean.

Everyones a noble mind; | |
Believing in a sign of Zeta, | |
Beyond the hard times from now! | |