Richard Holman (homer@mcn.net)
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 12:51:17 -0700

>I think Tomino and Gundam can safely be credited with pioneering the
>"mecha" genre.

Lets call it realistic mecha, because there is a big difference between the
traditional definition of mecha, and what seems to be accepted as mecha in
tis thread. Mecha= mechanical, therefore in the traditional sense, Gundam,
Mazinger Z, the God Phoenix, Bean Bandits car, Analyzer from Yamato, and the
rest are ALL mecha.

However in the sense on this thread, mechawould only seem to cover realistic
shows, with more dramatic themes. While acceptible, it does diverge from
the traditional deffinition. Or so my buddy in Japan told me. For the sake
of arguement, Tomino made more adult oriented realistic mecha shows, and
created a genre.

  Remember the big deal, even to casual viewers of Gundam,