Tabby (tabby@psn.net)
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:13:24 -0700

While based on a giant robot anime, this list is firmly grounded in the
Mecha genre(advanced combat vehicles), rather than the Super Robot
genre(robot vehicle as superhero). Nearly everybody seems to make these
distinctions, but I got to wondering tonight, did Tomino ((create)) this
distinction between Super Robots and Mecha? Was there an anime before
Gundam that established the difference, or is Gundam the sole grandfather
of all serious sci-fi mecha shows? Most people on the list will think the
answer is obvious, but I'm really curious to see if anybody can track the
Mecha genre back further than MS Gundam(I, for one, can't).

Waiting for curiosity to kill me,
Tabby

PS:Star Wars doen't count: it's not anime,. and it doesn't have any
humanoid robots that serve as combat vehicles.