Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:04:31 +0000

In message <In message <Pine.GSO.4.10.10001271949090.10020-100000@pooh.sunnybrook.ut
oronto.ca>, Chien Ting Chin <chinc@sten.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca> writes
>Lime wrote:
>> Not sure. I would have guessed some time during WW1, although I was always
>> under the impression that the first on a large scale was Guernica (sp?)
>
>Err... Is this in WWI or WW2? I don't even know which continent it is :p

        Before WWII, Europe, Spanish Civil War. It was a Spanish town
that was badly hit by the Legion Kondor. Picasso, I believe, produced a
famous picture of the event to show his horror at the event. It caused a
great deal of outrage at the time because it was one of the first mass
bombings of a primarily civilian target, and it seemed to prove the
widely believed maxim (at the time) that "the bomber will always get
through". An idea that lasted until, oh, September 1940. ^_^

Everyones a noble mind; | |
Believing in a sign of Zeta, | |
Beyond the hard times from now! | |