Paul Fields (johnny_raiden@hotmail.com)
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:30:32 -0500

> Burroughs didn't invent it and he wasn't writing SF.

Well I guess I shold have said then that Heinlein wasn't
the only one doing it, and it was sort of expected at the
time. Whereas "Alls quiet on the western front" was on
the other tack that many military stories have taken on
in the last few years.

> He was writing
> romantic fiction in the Jean-Jacques Rousseau "Noble Savage" tradition.
He
> just happened to set Carter on Mars and Carson on Venus because, having
> exhausted the Darkest Africa trope, he'd run out of places on Earth that
> were exotic enough to support such a conceit. If anyone invented the
> strength-through-adversity genre, it was Homer. He probably got it from
an
> oral tradition passed down from some prehistoric storyteller, though.
>
> -Z-

Ok, I'll buy that bit too... Homer huh... -Z- I'm having a hard
time remembering back that far, so I'll take your word for it.
I remember Argonaughts, and hardships from the gods stuff,
thats about it.

Paul