Paul Fields (johnny_raiden@hotmail.com)
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:06:43 -0500

> << Not authority, responsibility. The authorities in ST got their
authority
> because they were responsible.

> Good proof of this is how the voting is set up. To be able to vote, you
have
> to take on the responsibility and serve a term of service. This shows that
> you truly understand the hard work your founding fathers went through to
give
> you this liberty. Any moron can vote; it takes hard work to figure out
which
> is the right person to be in office.

I don't think so, it wasn't that veterans voted better but that
they had worked for the common good. In the US we have
millions of people who don't vote because they just don't
take the time and effort to do it. Perhaps in the context of
the book you get votes only from people who have worked
for the common good, and right or wrong will vote every
election day. This group in Heinlein's eyes takes responsibility
for their actions, even on a political level.

I don't know if I understand what I just wrote, but that's what
the government teacher in the book was trying to say.

Paul