CatKanwak@aol.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:44:41 EST

In a message dated 1/26/00 11:06:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, Z@Gundam.Com
writes:

<< There's a war because humanity has finally met creatures just as smart and
 tough as they are, but with a world view that is totally at odds with
 ours. The Klendathu are a hive-mind with no concept of individuality -- a
 reflection of the "ideal" communism, which Heinlein considered a threat to
 individual freedom, the one thing he felt worth defending with blood. This
 books was written in 1950, remember. >>

There's a bit of debate about this. In the beginning, Heinlein tended to fall
toward being communist, and he even (Correct me if I'm wrong on this,
PLEASE), came out and said it somewhere in either a. The Past Through
Tomorrow, or b. Grumbles from the Grave. But after he visited Russia, he knew
it wasn't for him.