donato zeno (sakoran@yahoo.it)
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:05:36 +0100 (CET)

--- Lime <gbc76@dial.pipex.com> scritto:
> >Just because you didn't understand something
> doesn't make
> >it shallow. I won't apologize for Heinlein's
> political preaching
>
> I don't know enough about the guy to say if he's
> preaching or not. Having
> read some of his other books, I'm fairly sure that
> just because one of his
> characters says something or believes something that
> he does too, and I'm
> increasingly convinced that with his books, what you
> get from them is what
> you came to them with in the first place. [I think
> Farnham's Freehold is a
> good example of that and, IMO, Job is far more
> anti-Christian in tone than
> EVA could ever be.]
>
> >but every Sci-Fi tries to make its political system
> different if
> >Heinlein's "what if?" got too wierd for you, too
> bad. Nobody
> >digs on Niven, Drake or Anderson for their worlds.
> Haldeman
> >always gets props for his great Military Sci-Fi,
> but no one is
> >bagging him for endless rehashes of Vietnam.
>

> Apparantly when they wrote 'The Mote in God's Eye'
> Larry Niven and Jerry
> Pournelle got a *lot* of flak from people who
> thought that they were
> endorsing Imperialism.
> --
> Honto no watashi ga hirogaru

> I think that many of the arguments by Heinlein in
his
novels are questionable.For instance his account of
Yellow Peril in Sixth Column is almost laughable at
present.However i see in Gundam more the influence of
The Moon Is An Harsh Mistress (rebellion of moon's
colonists,bombing of earth through metorites)than
Starship Troopers(overall powered in ST is quite
different from MS)

=====
DONATUS