Lime (gbc76@dial.pipex.com)
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:17:40 -0000

>Just because you didn't understand something doesn't make
>it shallow. I won't apologize for Heinlein's political preaching

I don't know enough about the guy to say if he's preaching or not. Having
read some of his other books, I'm fairly sure that just because one of his
characters says something or believes something that he does too, and I'm
increasingly convinced that with his books, what you get from them is what
you came to them with in the first place. [I think Farnham's Freehold is a
good example of that and, IMO, Job is far more anti-Christian in tone than
EVA could ever be.]

>but every Sci-Fi tries to make its political system different if
>Heinlein's "what if?" got too wierd for you, too bad. Nobody
>digs on Niven, Drake or Anderson for their worlds. Haldeman
>always gets props for his great Military Sci-Fi, but no one is
>bagging him for endless rehashes of Vietnam.

Apparantly when they wrote 'The Mote in God's Eye' Larry Niven and Jerry
Pournelle got a *lot* of flak from people who thought that they were
endorsing Imperialism.

--
Honto no watashi ga hirogaru