James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 02:06:01 -0800

>Alfred Stuart Urrutia wrote:
>> Or to the infantrymen who managed to survive. It was a gentleman's war, at
>> least in the air. That intrigues me as that mentality slowly disappeared as
>> more wars arrived.
>
>The air war in WWI may be gentlemanly, but 99.99% of WWI is definitely
>not. Personally I think the Boer War and WWI were the first ungentlemanly
>wars. With swords, spears, pikes, longbows even muskets and rifles you
>have to look at the persons you are trying to destroy. With machine guns
>and chlorine shells you are shooting at an area rather than at a person.
>So "combat" is now conveniently dissociated from the emotional burden of
>"killing". Everything after the machine gun is pretty much downhill.
>Aerial bombing, submarines, chemical/biological/nukes, landmines, these
>modern tactics and weapons are considered dishonarable by soldiers of
>yesteryears.

The question is posed in one of Leiji Matsumoto's "the Cockpit" stories...
which is worse, the Japanese suicide Ohka bombers, or soulless cruise
missiles fired hundreds of miles away with no risk for the attacker? At
least you wouldn't have Presidents tossing tossing them off at a whim.

>Trivia: name (country, city and year) the first aerial bombing of a
>civilian target in human history. And what is the most recent example?

I'm guessing but maybe a Zepplin raid on Antwerp in 1914? Of course the
most recent would have to be Grozny by Russia.

-James