Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:17:59 -0500 (EST)

Alfred Stuart Urrutia wrote:
> Or to the infantrymen who managed to survive. It was a gentleman's war, at
> least in the air. That intrigues me as that mentality slowly disappeared as
> more wars arrived.

The air war in WWI may be gentlemanly, but 99.99% of WWI is definitely
not. Personally I think the Boer War and WWI were the first ungentlemanly
wars. With swords, spears, pikes, longbows even muskets and rifles you
have to look at the persons you are trying to destroy. With machine guns
and chlorine shells you are shooting at an area rather than at a person.
So "combat" is now conveniently dissociated from the emotional burden of
"killing". Everything after the machine gun is pretty much downhill.
Aerial bombing, submarines, chemical/biological/nukes, landmines, these
modern tactics and weapons are considered dishonarable by soldiers of
yesteryears.

Trivia: name (country, city and year) the first aerial bombing of a
civilian target in human history. And what is the most recent example?

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble