Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:18:54 -0500 (EST)

Alfred Stuart Urrutia wrote:
> Ha ha, that's how I reacted, too. I haven't read it in a while but
> I've read Hammer's Slammers series and the Falkenberg's Legion series

I am going to write an article on ST and MSG, and I will cut up Heinlein
and ST quite a bit. I know there are a lot of ST fans here, so I would
like to hear your views before I put fingers to keyboard.

> about 4 times each. Sure it's a mediocre book, sure. The *movie* was
> a piece of shit minus the bugs, but the book is beautiful. Also, I

Hmm... IMHO, the book is annoying and shallow, the movie got rid of the
annoying stuffs and as a result become hollow (rather than shallow). But
at least the movie was campy and fun. Hmm put it this way, I don't mind
anyone using scifi as a vehicle to preach his/er philosophy, but there's
got to be story, drama and entertainment to sugar-coat it. If the story
is lousy or in this case, non-existent, why not just write a philosophy
book?

I can understand why the Heinlein estate didn't want anything to do with
the movie, since the movie dumped virtually everything Heinlein wanted to
say in the novel. But you know, I think trying to make a movie out of the
book was the original mistake.

> original email - that we should give thanks to the inclusion of Amuro
> in Gundam because that made the Gundam series "accessible" and that no

I give thanks to the exclusion of all the central themes of ST the book.

> version. Heinlein wrote a great backstory about a facist version of
> the future and its affects on society. The bug hunt part of it was
> almost secondary. No more kids for kids' sake in stories!

Hmm I won't call it a "great" backstory, I wouldn't even call it a story.
But it's interesting you say it's a "facist" version. I didn't sense
anywhere in the book that Heinlein disapprove of this future. In fact, it
seems to me that Heinlein was using the book to illustrate his idea of a
practical utopia.

Actually the military and political atmosphere in MSG is pretty much
opposite from that of ST. I am dying to read the interview(s) of Tomino
(hopefully translated into Chinese or English) that shoul shed light on
how Tomino think about Heinlein. Here is how I look upon it:

Heinlein Tomino
- Mobile Suit - Mobile Suit
- aliens (bugs) - seperatists (Zeon)
- interstellar war - Earth sphere war
- hero is a grunt - heroes are kids
  who doesn't ask who ask too many
  questions questions
- pro authority - anti-establishment
- there's a war - there's a war
  because aliens because the powerfuls
  are yucky and oppress the powerless
  they shot first
- wars bring out - wars mess people up
  the best in MEN
- clear-cut - ambiguous
- bombs - Newtypes
- genetic and - enhanced-types
  chemical are screwed up
  manipulation of
  soldiers is good
- soldiers make - soldiers make
  the best political the worst political
  decisions decisions

Anyway, don't take it too seriously or personally. Just want to hear what
you folks think.

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble