Robert Ludvig (tameno@hotmail.com)
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:33:04 PST


I disagree with the Anti-Japanese sentiment in the eighties. There were a
LOT of japanese anime that made it onto TV in the eighties. Although it was
hacked up also, but at least it was there. Manga also became more popular
as well. Then the early 90's when there was no Japanese anything around,
then about 1996 anime seems to be getting popular again, and it has been
blowing up in the last 2 years. I dont think GW's violence ought to get
edited down, its about War, and the majority of the characters "die" in
their mecha...that sort of violence is nowhere near as concerning as the in
your face gun shootouts and pointing guns at everyone (which is why I
guarantee you that every shot of Heero with a gun, Relena with a gun, Lady
Une with a gun, Treize with a gun, and the whole Heero at school with Relena
trying to kill her thing WILL BE ALL GONE. No one wants kids to see this
and going around telling little girls "I will kill you" because Heero did
it.) Which is ashame, but I guess it's necessary. Its too bad that kids
these days as a whole are so f*cked up that they cant see this show in its
entirety and not do crazy stuff. If this show ran when I was a kid in the
Eighties, I guarantee you there would be little to no concern about its
violent content.

>From: "Vincent Valentine" <vincent_valentine@yyhmail.com>
>Reply-To: gundam@aeug.org
>To: gundam@aeug.org
>Subject: Re: [gundam] Gundam Wing on Cartoon Channel (& Edit)
>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:00:21 +0800
>
>
> >
> > It's great to see that they're not shafting us, the fans that is. But
>the
> > bad news? They assume we all won't be out partying on a saturday
>night... I
> > better learn to set my VCR! :)
>
>You're telling me. I was soo relieved. ALthough, I still feel antsy at the
>idea that tons of kids, parents, and other people will see the edited
>version of GW and think it to be the real thing.
>
>Hah hah. Better get that VCR manual out.
>
>
> >
> > Seems AV, though light on the kind of goodies that I'd dig (animego
>still
> > releases some pretty cool swag for their shows), are pretty good when it
> > comes to the presentation of their material!
>
>Yeah, I have to agree. ANime Village did a splendid job on Coboy Bebop, the
>original Mobile Suit Gundam, etc. They've got strong subtitlers, so I think
>we can expect the subbed unedited GW VHS and DVDs to be top-notch. I'm glad
>AV doesn't slack the way VIZ and ADV do. It's pretty sad for VIZ and ADV
>when fansubbers do a more professional job. Don't you think we should urge
>some of our favorite fansubbers to go commercial? heh heh.
>
>
>
> >
> > By the other side of the coin however, don't you think the "more liberal
> > culture" is why this is airing here in the first place? Remember the
> > japan-bashing of the early 90's? They wouldn't have received this near
>as
> > well... now even the most rural parts of middle america are psyched
>about
> > anime. It is, after all, a "pop" culture phenomena, "pop" being short
>for
> > popular... ain't brevity grand?
>
>Yeah... I see your point. With all of the anti-Japanese sentiments that
>swirled around the 80's, a lot of Japanese shows got either ignored or
>Americanized (a la Robotech, Transformers). There are still pockets of
>Americans who don't like Japanese stuff because, as one old woman said,
>"all that Pikachu garbage. How're ya supposed to say that gobbldygook?" I
>guess we're lucky that a Gundam series is finally airing at all. Sort of a
>mixture of censorship and new ground breaking, huh?
>
>
> >
> > Not neccesarily true across the board. I remember them yanking several
> > animated series here in Texas,
>
>Really? Which ones??
>
> which is pretty conservative as well as
> > downright intolerant (how many fights have I gotten into due to my dyed
> > hair?).
>
>Bust 'em up, man.
>
><<Conservative politics as applied to art has always been hilarious
> > to me... "sex, the natural act of physical intimacy which spawned us and
> > brought us here today, is bad, but arnold schwarznegger movies, where he
> > passively murders, kills, and tortures people then jokes about it, are
>ok.>.
>
>Yes, yes. This country is plagued by politicians who supposedly promote the
>arts (but then, only if it fits their narrow definition). There is a statue
>of George Washington that was once banned because, heaven forbid, it showed
>him in a toga and you could see his nipples. Thankfully, we don't have such
>a stigma about things as mild as that anymore, but things have become more
>selective. It's okay if Arnie Baby blasts a ton of "real" people to death,
>but if Duo slices a man-driven mobile suit in half, editing must take
>place. I suppose this blurs reality a bit. It seems censors think real
>actors are less realistic than a bunch of teenagers in mobile suits.
>
>oh yeah. You should move out of Texas, maybe? heh heh.
>
>
> >
> > >I think you're right. Funny how we seem to be going backward? Remember
>how
> > >violent Thundercats used to be? Hah hah.
> >
> > Because people weren't blaming the media for everything back then... but
>as
> > Chris Rock says... "You think I got three guns in my house 'cause the
> > media's outside?!?"
>
>hah hah. Nice to meet you, Evan! :)
>
>Vincent
>
>
> >
> > EV.
> >
> > -
> > Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/
> >
> >
> >
>--
>
>
>Get your free email from http://www.yyhmail.com
>
>powered by OutBlaze
>
>
>-
>Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

-
Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/



This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Wed Jan 26 2000 - 12:34:59 JST