Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:27:23 +0800

> Picked up Starship Troopers the book in the rush getting out of Toronto.
> Finished it between the flights, trains, buses and the Tube. Ugh, it's a
> pretty mediocre book. It's interesting to see what ideas in Gundam was
> borrowed from this book, but otherwise I wouldn't have finished it.
> Here is one of those "classic" that didn't stand up to the test of time.

The Japs are pretty well read in Science Fiction Classics. Japan is the only
place in the world where Edgar Rice Burrough's John Carter of Mars is more
popular than Tarzan. That may change soon though - with the Disney movie and
all... -_-;

But you're right, it's a pretty mediocre book. A classic in the sense that
it pioneered practically the entire hardcore military Sci-fi genre. But it
heavily influenced stuff outside of that literature - I think the one that
takes the most inspiration from it is Starcraft. The Protoss had an
equivalent in the book, if I recall...

Gundam 0079: OYW had to bridge a lot to bring the military vision of manned
robots. I think Amuro as a boy was essential to bridge that gap - I don't
think anyone could go fully hardcore on this stuff at the first outing. I
think what separates it from Starship Troopers is that it made an accessible
vision of the entire military sci-fi thing. I think I'd compare Gundam more
to Lord of the Rings in that case. LOTR did take a lot of old folktales and
legends from the British Isles (include Ireland since I'm not sure if it's
part fo that) and weaved it into a more accessible vision as a novel
trilogy.

Well anyway, enough of my rambling - on to more Gundam...

Fed