Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:27:00 -0500

Mark Simmons wrote:

> Okay, let's take a look at Neil's production numbers list...
>
> > RX-78 Gundam (0079, 3)
> > RX-78NT-1 Gundam Alex (0079, 1)
> > RX-79(G) Gundam Ground Type (0079, 20)
> > RX-78GP01 Gundam Zephyranthes (0083, 1)
> > RX-78GP02A Gundam Physalis (0083, 1)
> > RX-78GP03S Gundam Dendrobium Stamen (0083, 1)
> > RX-78GP03 Gundam Dendrobium Orchis (0083, 1)
> > RX-78GP04G Gundam Gerbera (0083, 1)
>
> These are all pretty solid, though I'd note that the production number
> for the Gerbera should actually be 0.

Oh yeah, I was kinda, sorta referring to its reincarnation as the AGX-04.

> And some sources - MSV-era
> publications and the recent MSV Collection File among them - claim that
> there were eight RX-78 units total (including those used as FA-78 testbeds).

But I take they are not taken as canon, right?

> <snip>
>
> Hm. The total production run of the GM is unclear (aside from B-CLUB's
> old estimate of 3800 total, during and after the war). Regardless, there
> were probably at least a thousand produced during the war, and the stock
> RGM-79 would probably be the most numerous of all the models. Absent any
> clear accounting of the GMs used from 0079 to 0083, however, or the
> quantity of C and G types produced, I suppose you can pump up their
> production runs if you like. :-)

I assume they are reasonable guesses then?

> Way too many GM Customs, GM Quells, and GM Sniper IIs, however. The
> original GM Sniper Custom had a total run of less than 50, and the GM
> Sniper II is even more rare; the MSV Collection File says that, as of the
> Battle of Solomon, enough prototypes were produced to outfit only three
> test teams (including the Scarlet Team which is wiped out in Gundam
> 0080). It seems that more were produced thereafter, since Master P. Rayer
> gets one in the new Side Story game, but I doubt they cranked many more
> out after the war ended.

So I guess we're talking about a dozen or so GM Sniper IIs?

> The GM Custom is another rarity, fresh out of testing when it appears
> in 0083, and its high cost keeps the production run low.

So what, a hundred, or maybe two hundred then? Mind you I was thinking in the
early 0084 context, kind of assuming that the Custom became the standard regular
forces GM since the C type is out of production(?).

> > MS-06C/F Zaku II (0078/0079, c1400)
> > MS-06F2 Zaku II (0079, c600)
> > MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai (0079, c100)
> > MS-06J Zaku II (0079, c700)
> > MS-06R-1A Zaku II (0079, 56)
> > MS-06S Zaku II (0079, c300)
>
> Officially, there were 22 R-1s and 56 R-1As. The estimate of 100 has
> been bandied about for the S type. The F2 and FZ are hard to take
> seriously as authentic variants...

But they are present in official animation no? Hence they have to be taken
seriously dont they?

> Whatever the total production run of the Zaku II - looks like you're
> going with about 3200 - the F type is supposed to make up at least half
> this total. Ergo, if there are 3200 Zaku IIs, at least 1600 would be F
> types. The C type was the only version made for the first year, so say at
> _least_ 600 of those. There are 100 S types, 114 D types, about 100 E
> types, 78 R types... that leaves 600 others, almost all of which would be
> J types. (The F2 type, as used in the 0083 animation, substitutes for
> both the F and J types.)

I assume the same would have to go for the FZ?

> > MS-07B Gouf (0079, c80)
> > MS-07B3 Gouf Custom (0079, c60)
> > MS-07H8 Gouf Flight Type (0079, c30)
>
> At this point, I'll consult the Zeon Dukedom Military File CD-ROM. In
> addition to the 32 A type Goufs (which had no built-in weapons), the ZDMF
> says there were 200 B types (about one month's production).

Wow, that's kind of impressive!

> > MS-09 Dom (0079, c1500)
> > MS-09F Dom Tropen (0079, c500)
> > MS-09R Rick Dom (0079, c700)
> > MS-09RII Rick Dom II (0079, c300)
>
> The ZDMF reckons there were about 600 Doms, and that the Rick Dom was
> cranked out at a rate of 200/month starting in September, so its
> production run should be similar. The Rick Dom II is new and rare; the 20
> units that the Delaz Fleet has are just about the only ones.

Really, what about the 0080 examples?

> > MS-14A Geelgog (0079,
> > MS-14B Geelgog (0079,
> > MS-14F Geelgog Marine Mass Produced Space Combat Mobile Suit (0079,
> > MS-14Fs Geelgog Marine (0079,
> > MS-14Jg Geelgog Jaeger (0079,
>
> The MG Gelgoog kit manual says 83 A types, 67 B types, and 15 C types
> (a total which includes the 25 YMS-14 prototypes). I suppose you could
> tally the later-created F and Jg models under the B type category, since
> these are seldom seen otherwise. At any rate, there are at least 30 F
> types as of 0083.

Not nearly as many as I'd imagined.

> > MS-18E Kampfer (0079, c20)
>
> Hah! Only in the dreams of Kaempfer fans. ;-)

Awwww! So what a dozen, less? What about the erstwhile MS-18F production type?

> > MSM-03C HyGog (0079, c100)
> > MSM-07E Zugock-E (0079, c30)
>
> What about the conventional MSM series? The Acguy is usually tallied at
> 60 units, and the ZDMF says 300 Gogs. The Zugok would presumably number a
> couple of hundred...

Sorry, could hardly stand them, so I chose to conveniently ignore them for my
game. Same goes for the MAs. But any rate, I assume we should simple incorporate
the 0080-style variants production within that of the overall numbers?

I can see from this that the Delaz Fleet and remaining Earth-based Zeon elements
really did just keep the best stuff around, discarding and/or canabilizing the
lesser, older variants.

BTW, I just started on 0083, looking for minor details. Did anyone notice that
at the end of the OYW, the Delaz Fleet leaves with _two_ Gwajin-class
battleships! Boy, that could have been a good plot device (what happened to it)
for a 0081/0082 campaign, if not for 0084.... Either that or it was canabalized
like those MS.

Neil