Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:24:17 -0800

Dafydd wonders,

>1. What became of the fully populated and unscathed Side 6?

  Merged, according to my theory, with the almost totally depopulated Side 2.

>2. Why was Side 4 (formerly Side 5) kept on the books when it was
>ostensibly the MOST damaged and, in fact, usually cited as totally
>destroyed and referred to as the Shoal Zone?

  I guess they had to call it something. Note that it's never mentioned
as an administrative unit - it's only brought up when people are using
this debris zone as a hideout or using it as a source of droppable colonies.

>It further begs the question of why Texas colony remained semi-operational
>even though it was badly damaged and surrounded by little or nothing but
>debris in the aforementioned Shoal Zone.

  I guess they forgot to turn it off, eh? And for all we know it was
maintained by the Zeons as a testing ground...

>If I understand your hypothesis correctly, Side 6 was merged with the
>remains of Side 2 or simply became Side 2 in the absence of any habitable
>or salvageable colonies in that area; Side 5 was renumbered Side 4 because
>it was the last remaining Side after Sides 1 through 3; and Side 7 was
>renumbered Side 5, but there weren't enough colonies there for the
>designation to stick.

  Exactamente.

>The first Colony Reclamation Project begins in May 0082 with the transfer
>of repairable colonies from Side 4 to Side 3. Under the traditional
>schema, that would be from L5 to L2.

  I'd initially figured that the CRP was conducted before the colonies
were redesignated - hence the use of the old arrangement in all the maps.
But yeah, it would make more sense if this "Side 4" were in fact the
former Side 5.

>So what's left at L1 that anyone should be mindful of it? Or is the idea
>to start afresh there when the resolve and resources become available,
>which seems to be 30-odd years down the road with the Frontier Side?

  Right. Salvage what you can, scrap the rest, and clear it out so it's
safe to begin new construction when the population has grown enough to
warrant it.

-- Mark