-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:04:13 -0800

"Namaste" is a Hindi word used as a general greeting, something like
"Aloha" in Hawaiian.

Today, while searching for some rare books on the Bibliofind web site, I
decided to check on the availability of the Gundam trilogy. I found
several copies of the first two books and none of the third, but that's not
why I posting this.

On a whim, I entered the word "Gundam" in the key words field and left the
author and title fields blank, just to see what would come up. As
expected, I found all of the Gundam books previously found and several
other books besides. None of these other books were about Gundam as we
know it, but I would never have guessed what else would have "Gundam" as a
key word.

Would you believe classic Hinduism?

It seems that, back in medieval times, there was a Hindu guru named Gundam
Raul, now considered a Mahanubhava ("Great Soul" -- equivalent of a saint),
whose teachings are still preserved in the Marathi dialect.

"Gundam" is, apparently, a not uncommon Hindi name, one not associated with
a particular gender. The other Gundam reference was to a book on the
effects of road construction of the Indian standard of living and culture
by a Doctor Gundam Rajeswar, M.A., Ph.D., a woman of some standing at the
Universoty of Andhra Pradesh in Visakhapatam.

Gundam Raul ... Ranba Ral ... Lalar Sun ... Hamaan Khan ... Shakti Kareen.

I wonder....

-Z-