-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 18:30:20 -0800

At 16:09 1/19/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Here's how the theory works. Before the war, we have six populated Sides
>(plus the single-colony Side 7), each said to have forty-plus colonies and a
>billion-plus inhabitants. During the war, roughly half the space colonists
>are killed. As demonstrated in 0083, many depopulated colonies were
>subsequently fixed up and transferred to other Sides.
>
> I posit that the other colonies were consolidated into only two Sides.
>Sides 1 and 4 are merged into Side 1, while Sides 2 and 6 become Side 2.
>Side 3 absorbs the leftovers. This gives us three colony clusters, each with
>the same total population as a pre-war Side but twice the number of
>colonies. That's why postwar Sides have many more colonies (witness the
>reference to Side 2, 85 Bunch in Z Gundam).

Ye gods, Mark! What a concept!

>Now, it's pretty controversial to claim that all the other Sides simply
>disappeared, and I'll admit that this contradicts the Sunrise-authored Side
>map published when Z Gundam was originally aired. However, I don't think it
>contradicts anything shown in the actual animation. From Z Gundam onwards,
>Sides 5 and 6 are never mentioned again. Indeed, in V Gundam, we're shown a
>map that indicates that Side 2 (the Zanscare Empire) is attacking Side 1;
>the other Sides that should share their orbits aren't shown, and there's no
>reference in the series to the other Side that should be Side 2's neighbor.

That certainly carries the "it's not Canon unless it's shown in the anime"
to its ultimate logical conclusion. But what of all the Side maps that
have been published over the years, in the Z Gundam film comics, Newtype
100% Collections, Entertainment Bibles, and so on? It was combing through
those that showed that the Z Gundam arrangement (or, more correctly,
rearrangement) had been carried forward all the way through V Gundam,
creating the split between One Year War and Z Gundam and thereafter.

And, as noted by me in my review thereof, the Z Gundam game book uses the
old One Year War map, hinting that, having established the arrangement in
earlier games, Sunrise or whomever seemed to be carrying it forward so as
not to confuse the gamers who had memorized the earlier arrangement....

> What of the other Lagrange points? Side 7 appears in the opening episodes
>of Z Gundam, but I don't think it's ever referred to by that name. Side 4 is
>mentioned once, when the Titans try to drop one of its ruined colonies on
>Granada. Presumably, these two unpopulated regions get renumbered - the
>space graveyard in front of the moon would be reclassified as Side 4 (and
>later as the Frontier Side), while the former Side 7 would be renumbered
>Side 5 (though everybody in Z Gundam seems to call it Green Oasis).

Yeah, Green Noah/Oasis and Gryps 1 and 2. I can't recall hearing anyone
say "Side 7" but of course have seen it referred to as such for years.

>What think you, fellow UC nerds? Is there any reference to Sides 4 through 7
>from Z Gundam onwards that I've missed? Is Side 7 ever mentioned by number
>in Z Gundam, and does Side 6 ever reappear in later stories?

Gee, Mark, and all we have to do to confirm this theory is watch all 47 eps
of Z Gundam and all 50 eps of Gundam ZZ looking for the single frame or
line of dialog that would contradict it?

And you know what? There are enough of us who are strongly enough
concerned about such things that someone will do just that.

I propose a limited amnesty for fansubbers -- can any of you guys who've
done the scripts either confirm or deny Mark's Hypothesis?

-Z-