David \ (Macross3@excite.com)
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:49:12 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:03:04 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> If shoujo Anime has a literal term where it's for females then I take
your
> word for it, but if it's simply directed towards females then I would
have
> to only half agree with you. Directed towards females yes, but I don't
> think it is JUST for girls. I think Sailor Moon proves that in a lot of
> cases.

Agreed. I watch a whole lotta shoujo, and I agree that they are not
exclusively for "girls." However, when I talk about shoujo, I DO know that
their target audience in Japan are girls, even though there is often a
gender crossover in audience. Generally, I think the main difference between
shoujo and shounen is the storytelling style. Utena is a fine example of
shoujo. Sailor Moon, however, seems to have a lot of shounen-type elements,
even though it is supposedly a shoujo show. Even the Sailor Moon R movie,
with all it flowers and imagery, still seems to have a very strong boy-type
element to it.

Jojo