David \ (macross3@excite.com)
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:50:36 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:22:57 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> David \"Jojo\" Wong wrote:

> > really
> > > allow enough time for character development - maybe enough time for
one
> > or
> > > two characters to grow and change, but that's about it. The plot
twists
> > and
> > > reversals, and the cast-wide character development, that
characterize the
> > > 50-episode epics of yore simply can't be replicated in a movie or
> > > six-episode OVA.
> >
> > Hmm...that's probably why 0080 and even to a certain extent Gunbuster
> > (although I have mixed feelings of this series as a whole) worked
rather
> > well, with it small cats of characters.
> >

> You're forgetting a basic part of this - a *good* story, a well written
story,
> can develop as many characters as necessary in the time a typical movie
takes.
> A shit story, a cliche'd crap movie/tv series/etc. can go forever and
never
> explain anything well. 0080 concentrated on that very well. Some shows
seem
> to think eye candy is more important.

Another good point I forgot to make. While a long series does have its
advantages, there is something to be said for spare, concise storytelling as
well. Sometimes bad writers take a slight concept and run with it for 200
episodes when it should have been done in about 10. The Dragon Ball Z series
comes to mind when it comes to examples of running a show into the ground
and beyond.

Jojo