KurenaiJiku (kurenaijiku@tech-base.com)
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:28:07 -0800

I don't think any Anime is not fit for anybody's taste. If one is open
enough, they can accept any sort of story or concept just as long as it
provides it's targeted goal and message. For example, Starship Troopers
the movie wasn't targeted to replicate the novel onto the silver screen;
instead it was meant to express a farce or rather a mocked version of
it...while showing violence galore without proceeding to provide the
tragedy or hardship. It was meant to be a senseless, emotionless adventure
movie...but still provide the sensation of bravery of war. Particular
Gundam stories are meant to show certain emotions and target certain
audiences. Gundam Wing is the most contraversial and arguable series of
them all; being the most popular among mainstream and hardcore that is.
Gundam Wing, although, I don't like it either; it does provide the "shoujo"
by having a very powerful and "perfect"-being cast of 5 male youngsters
each with their own very cookie cutter charisma and personality. That's
what shoujo is anyway.

Gundam 0080 as mentioned earlier in the mailing list is a character based
story where the theme was; "What would it be like if there were two people
from seperate worlds who clashed, but neither of them gave regards to their
"homeworlds". The moral of the story is that, no matter how a person
avoids and/or ignores their "heritage" or origin, there are forces outside
of one's control which must express themselves before that one person's
emotions or actions. Gundam 0080 did this very well as they had a dynamic
relationship between the young rookie Zion pilot; still inexperienced and
on the very edge of choosing either side but also had a conflicting complex
within himself to represent Zion, and a civilian child who only knows
nothing but there is a war going on.
Gundam 0083 was a story where it was meant to be pure drama. Gundam has
very few stories where it was in the classical feel of UC, but is just an
action flick. 0083 filled this hole. It was more profaganda and whether
anybody "hardcore" who enjoys 0079 more than any other, it provided it's
targeted audience with incredible grace. If you deny that it actually did
it's job, then that person or people in particular are incredibly ignorant
or incredibly patriotic to their own nostalgic hobbies to the point where
they'll ignorant anything which "defies" their own likeness.

Evangelion is a totally different Anime and comparing both Gundam and
Evangelion is like apples and oranges. If you didn't like it, then you
watched it with the expectation of it being similar to Gundam. I'm a
Gundam fan, but also an incredible EVA fan as well. It provided so many
twists, turns and eye openers that it rewrote my personality when looking
at art, concepts of stories, as well as life. It was meant to do those
things; it is a judgemental Anime where it attempted to revel on the
concepts located in the Bible, and attempted to provide it's own
interpretation. Gundam is just a political struggle between multiple
sides, and provide the most realistic sci fi war that is possible. That's
why Gundam Wing didn't appeal to so many old veterans because 0079 was just
that.

In the end, everybody likes certain things for certain reasons, while some
people like all things for different reasons.

KurenaiJiku