Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:00:26 -0800

JoJo writes,

> But if your reasoning is true, then we would have to discard thousands of
> movies as nothing but action and eye candy with little character
> development, since most are supposedly under two hours (1999 being an
> exception with their ridiculously long 3 hour movies).

  True - it's like the difference between a short story and a full-length
novel, each of which is a valid art form. Actually, I guess a year-long TV
series is more comparable to a series of novels; a single novel seems to map
nicely to a TV miniseries, which in turn is roughly equivalent to a
mid-length OVA series. But I digress...

  That said, your typical movie (let alone a short story) doesn't really
allow enough time for character development - maybe enough time for one or
two characters to grow and change, but that's about it. The plot twists and
reversals, and the cast-wide character development, that characterize the
50-episode epics of yore simply can't be replicated in a movie or
six-episode OVA.

  As a case study, consider 0083 - at thirteen episodes, it's twice the
length of even the most ambitious standard OVA. How would the story have
been different if 0083 were a full-length TV series? More plot twists, more
factions, more shifting of alleigances; more romantic entanglements; more
characters, allowing for more complicated character interactions. Given four
times as much screen time, Gato might have developed into a fully-realized
character with vulnerabilities and fears and complications, instead of a
cool-looking robot.

-- Mark