Tomonaga (Tomonaga@xtra.co.nz)
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 08:54:01 +1300

Chaos025@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/2/00 4:10:41 PM Mountain Standard Time, Z@Gundam.Com
> writes:
>
> > I'm willing to buy the idea that the GM Quell was the Titan's first step on
> > the road toward the Mk.II, but a prototype of it? No way!
> >
> > Remember, to the Japanese, a prototype isn't just a testbed or forerunner
> > of a production model, it's an archetype embodying the ultimate vision of
> > everything the machine can do, from which a lesser, cheaper production
> > model is derived.
>
> I disagree. I work as an engineer for a Japanese manufacturer of
> semiconductor manufacturing equipment. The Japanese philosophy of design is
> to build a better product to meet (or just get under) the standard, unlike
> the US's philosophy of building more options for a known good product until
> the standard for that product gets pushed up a notch and customers start to
> complain or go elsewhere.
>
> Which brings us to the possible design lineage where the Gundam Alex leads to
> the GM Custom which in turn leads to the GM Quell and eventually to the
> Gundam MkII. Even though this is a retcon solution, it does fit in with the
> overall feel of the Gundam saga (from my point of view, anyway). The big
> debate has always been as to what makes a Gundam a Gundam. We can all pretty
> much agree that GMs are mass produced, down graded Gundams. We can also all
> agree that the Gundam MkII is a limited production advanced Gundam. So, with
> the GM Custom leading to a more advanced GM Quell (based on the technology
> available during the second Gundam Project), and the GM Custom obviously (yet
> never stated to be) based on the Gundam Alex (which is an advanced Gundam to
> begin with), one can draw the conclusion that the Gundam MkII was indeed
> built as an upgraded GM Quell. And being an upgraded GM would in fact make
> the MkII a Gundam, since GM's are down grade Gundams to begin with.
>
> So, I can see the logic in the claiming this line of thought for the MkII's
> lineage.
>
> SJ

It's interesting that they went to the trouble of thinking up the lineage even
though in Z Gundam, the MkII is considered a 'minor change' of the original
RX-78. In Japanese speak, 'minor change' is the word used most commonly to
refer to a mid-cycle facelift for cars. That is to say the MkII isn't considered
a completely fresh model but a modified RX-78 (since Z Gundam predates 0083).
But on the other hand if you fit the 0083 into the scheme, I guess they could
have been referring to the MkII as a modified GM Quell... 'with the armour left
unchanged' : )

Tet