-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sun, 02 Jan 2000 15:08:15 -0800

At 21:57 1/2/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>Saw this info from HLJ.
>

>"The GM Quel (as seen in one of the final scenes of Gundam 0083) is, in the
>Gundam universe, the proto-type version of the Gundam mkt., though there is
>no "official" reference to this."
>http://209.238.147.238/cgi-local/hljpage.cgi?BAN71692
>
>I do have to admit that the chest & shoulder armor part have a close design
>to the MK II, although there are no records, it is possible that this is the
>basis of the design of the MKII. After all, the Titans built the MKII too.
>

>"The GM Custom (as seen in Gundam 0083) is, in the Gundam universe, the
>mass-produced version of the Alex NT-1, though there is no "official"
>reference to this. "
>http://209.238.147.238/cgi-local/hljpage.cgi?BAN71691
>
>And the GM Custom's backpack looks very similar to the NT-1's.
>
>Could this be possible?

In a word, no. The GM is almost by definition a mass-produced version of
the original RX-78 Gundam. Whatever variations and refinements a given GM
may have are variations and refinements of the baseline GM, not a
mass-production of Yet Another Gundam.

The similarities between the RGM-79Q GM Quell and the RX-178 Gundam Mk.II
or the RGM-79N GM Custom and the RX-78 NT-1 Gundam G-4 are either purely
coincidental or the result of a deliberate retcon. The Mk.II was designed
7 or 8 years before the GM Quell and the Alex was designed 3 or 4 years
before the GM Custom, so the designers could've been trying to bridge the
two on purpose or merely had a limited choice of design elements from which
to choose to make the new design fit into the designated time frame.

I'm willing to buy the idea that the GM Quell was the Titan's first step on
the road toward the Mk.II, but a prototype of it? No way!

Remember, to the Japanese, a prototype isn't just a testbed or forerunner
of a production model, it's an archetype embodying the ultimate vision of
everything the machine can do, from which a lesser, cheaper production
model is derived.

-Z-