Chaos025@aol.com
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:11:00 EST

In a message dated 12/28/99 9:49:00 PM Mountain Standard Time,
joshua@egis.net writes:

> Hmmm, sorry, not that I mean to spoil anyone's fun, but I can't help but
> wonder why is there an ongoing preoccupation with relating the UC timeline
> with the Gregorian calendar? Is it something out of the creator's original
> intentions? I am just a bit amused by the fascination with this aspect.
> Is it meant to make fiction seem more realistic? If this were the case,
> shouldn't the original series have included certain events in its story
> which actually happened in the real world to make it relate to our own
> time? I ask because such is the case with period films or futuristic
> movies with flashbacks into the real past.

It's like Stardates in Star Trek: no real meaning when the creators of the
show used it, but it has given fans over the following decades something to
correlate and feel good about. Personally, I enjoy the idea that "future
history" can be correlated with our current history.

SJ