joshua@egis.net
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:47:19 +0800

>* First, we have the date on the newspaper seen in the last episode of
>Gundam 0080: Monday, January 14, UC 0080. If we posit that anything seen
>on-screen is canonical, then we know for certain which dates in Gundam
>history correspond to which days of the week.
>
>* The Gundam 0080 timeline seems to be internally consistent in this
>respect. The timeline in B-CLUB's Gundam 0080 Visual Comic Volume 2
>(which seems to have been used as a source for the timeline in Sunrise's
>Gundam 2000 calendar) says that Al's joining the Cyclops team and his
>infiltration of the secret Federation base took place on December 15 and
>16, respectively. If January 14 is a Monday, these days would be Saturday
>and Sunday. December 14, when Operation Rubicon begins, is a Friday -
>hence, as shown, a school day. December 17, the date shown on a parking
>meter the day after Al sneaks into the secret base, would be a Monday -
>lo and behold, Al's back in school again.
>
>* Meanwhile, Shindosha's venerable timeline indicates that UC years that
>are multiples of 4 are leap years (witness the date of February 29, UC
>0088, listed for an event in ZZ). Assuming this is true, UC 0080 must
>also be a leap year.
>

>Thus, UC 0080 is both a leap year _and_ a year in which January 14 falls
>on a Monday. That narrows it down to a pretty small range of candidates.
>Here's two centuries' worth:
>
> UC 0080 = UC 0001 =
>
> AD 2036 AD 1957
> AD 2064 AD 1985
> AD 2104 AD 2025
> AD 2132 AD 2053
> AD 2160 AD 2081
> AD 2188 AD 2109
> AD 2228 AD 2149
> ... ...
>

>Of these, AD 1957 is a cute option - the year Sputnik launched! - but if
>we've moved half the human race into space already, I haven't noticed. AD
>1985 isn't really pegged to any historical event, but it still gives us
>12 years to found Von Braun City, and it puts UC 0079 just about the date
>Tomino gave in his original series proposal. AD 2053 is probably going to
>be Dafydd's pick, since it's closest to the 2045 date from the older
>timelines.
>
> Not compatible with the above two conditions: AD 1969, when man first
>set foot on the moon, and longtime fan fave AD 2001. Neither is
>compatible with January 14, UC 0080, being a Monday. And, although AD
>2013 meets both conditions, it would make UC 0088 equal to AD 2100 - not
>a leap year - and thus breaks the Shindosha timeline.

Hmmm, sorry, not that I mean to spoil anyone's fun, but I can't help but
wonder why is there an ongoing preoccupation with relating the UC timeline
with the Gregorian calendar? Is it something out of the creator's original
intentions? I am just a bit amused by the fascination with this aspect.
Is it meant to make fiction seem more realistic? If this were the case,
shouldn't the original series have included certain events in its story
which actually happened in the real world to make it relate to our own
time? I ask because such is the case with period films or futuristic
movies with flashbacks into the real past.

Joshua